Message to FlashPeak : Give up Slimbrowser

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Mr_Electro84

Message to FlashPeak : Give up Slimbrowser

Post by Mr_Electro84 »

Dear FlashPeak developer(s),

It's been a few years since SlimBrowser was relaunched thanks to the Gecko rendering engine, but a few years on, it's clear that SlimBrowser hasn't regained its former greatness.

Today, it doesn't really make sense to continue maintaining a browser that now possesses a deserted community, having lost interest and been supplanted by Slimjet. In my opinion, redirecting Slimbrowser to Slimjet is a more pertinent choice to ensure better development of Slimjet and even to be able to resume development of Slimjet-related projects that are currently on hold, notably the Slimjet for Android project ( https://www.slimjet.com/en/slimjet-mobile.php ), for which many users are waiting.

SlimBrowser has already suffered from its dependence on Internet Explorer, it won't be any safer with Gecko (since the developer, Mozilla, is gradually losing the browser battle: its Firefox browser is losing market share year after year).

So, maybe this will upset some users who are allergic to Chromium(/Blink), but today the word is clear: we need to focus on Slimjet, which now has a larger user base (from my point of view) than Slimbrowser.

Thank you for reading this message
Mr_Electro84 - From France

Windows 11 - Slimjet 42 (64 bit)

donaldduck

Re: Message to FlashPeak : Give up Slimbrowser

Post by donaldduck »

Give up Slimjet too as far as I'm concerned. I used it for years but I am unable to use it anymore. Anything newer than v. 38 downloads and installs, flashes instantaneously, and then disappears from my screen, and I don't know why.

Mr_Electro84

Post by Mr_Electro84 »

donaldduck wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:21 pm
Give up Slimjet too as far as I'm concerned. I used it for years but I am unable to use it anymore. Anything newer than v. 38 downloads and installs, flashes instantaneously, and then disappears from my screen, and I don't know why.
Clear on my side, it must be a more advanced local failure.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

Don't know. It's been going on for months, since v.39 whenever that was. I can't find any Windows security blocking it. I seem to be the only one with the problem.

Mr_Electro84

Post by Mr_Electro84 »

donaldduck wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:08 pm
Don't know. It's been going on for months, since v.39 whenever that was. I can't find any Windows security blocking it. I seem to be the only one with the problem.
Are you running Windows 7 or 8.1? If so, this seems normal: later versions of Slimjet are no longer supported on these OS.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

Mr_Electro84 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:41 am
donaldduck wrote:
Are you running Windows 7 or 8.1? If so, this seems normal: later versions of Slimjet are no longer supported on these OS.

I have W10 but I have it set up to look like W7, so perhaps that's the problem. I do have the option of updating to W11 for free but haven't done so. What's the consensus on that these days? Is W11 better or worse? I'm used to the W7 setup and don't really feel like learning a new one. Also, while I liked Slimjet I have no problem with installing other browsers, and the main one I use now, Vivaldi, suits me fine as it has a good old fashioned bookmark side bar, my favorite thing!

Mr_Electro84

Post by Mr_Electro84 »

donaldduck wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:13 pm
Mr_Electro84 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:41 am
donaldduck wrote:

I have W10 but I have it set up to look like W7, so perhaps that's the problem. I do have the option of updating to W11 for free but haven't done so. What's the consensus on that these days? Is W11 better or worse? I'm used to the W7 setup and don't really feel like learning a new one. Also, while I liked Slimjet I have no problem with installing other browsers, and the main one I use now, Vivaldi, suits me fine as it has a good old fashioned bookmark side bar, my favorite thing!
I've been using Windows 11 for over a year now, and it's a good operating system overall.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

Thanks, Mr Electro. Is there a lot different to learn and get used to with 11? I'm still accustomed to the W7 setup. Maybe if I got 11 Slimjet would work for me again, or maybe not.

Mr_Electro84

Post by Mr_Electro84 »

donaldduck wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:54 am
Thanks, Mr Electro. Is there a lot different to learn and get used to with 11? I'm still accustomed to the W7 setup. Maybe if I got 11 Slimjet would work for me again, or maybe not.
On the whole, Windows 11 remains a fairly soft change compared with Windows 10 (even if a little more pronounced than Windows 7), so apart from its new aesthetic, you shouldn't be too lost.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

Mr. E - I just saw that there's instructions online about how to make W11 look like W7, just like I did with W10. I'm not the only W7 fan still around! It's just the W7 start menu that I like. So I guess I'll go for it. Are there any pros or cons to W11 vs. 10? If anyone else is interested just do a search for "how to..." above, or I cld post the link if anyone wants it. I'll let u know what happened...how my comp. got bricked!