Feature Request: Download video segment

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
paul1149

Feature Request: Download video segment

Post by paul1149 »

I don't know if this is feasible, but I would find it useful to be able to download portions of youtube videos rather than the whole thing. Currently the whole video must be downloaded and then edited.

Or is there an download extension that will do this?

oftentired

Re: Feature Request: Download video segment

Post by oftentired »

I think it is a good idea. I wonder if it could be implemented with a simple selection of what time to start and what time to end and with choices to start at the beginning or end at the end so you could grab a segment from within the whole video or from the beginning to a point short of the end or from a point after the beginning to the end.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Those are the lines I was thinking along. Magic Actions has a feature where you can select multiple ranges in the video, and playback will then skip what isn't selected, but I'm not sure what practical good that is as the settings apparently can't be exported.

Yes, I would find it useful to save the highlights of a video, only. It would make it easier to find them later, plus be a lot less to download.

dev

Post by dev »

trouble is (i think it's a good idea btw) is that its easy to do this in most video software for example http://www.vishnuparam007.com/2013/11/h ... ts-of.html

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

If I understand that site correctly, the whole video has to be processed, therefore "downloaded", before one can save clips. So if there is a 200MB video, and I want to save a ten minute portion, I need to D/L the whole thing or have a processing site do it for me. That's what I'm trying to avoid, both for bandwidth and local drive space considerations. I would do a lot more downloading if I could just do clips.

I figured that if SJ can capture the video and audio streams and weave them together, which it already does on videos otherwise not downloadable, it could use the existing YouTube URL start time spec to do a similar thing with regard to downloading.

dev

Post by dev »

Sorry thought the link was for Quote from the link "here i am posting a simple trick to download specific parts of YouTube videos." ">Un-check the start time and end time, give a time frame in the field" Is that not what you wanted to do or it doesn't work that way ?

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

You are absolutely right. From the wording I thought the whole video would be downloaded first, but by the initial "processing" they mean simply loading the url and the video's specs. Once that is done and the output format is chosen, you then can spec start and end points, and only then is the video actually pulled from youtube. So there is no wasted transfer.

This is proof of concept! This would be awesome to have in-browser.

Good job once again, dev.

BW,
Paul

edit: I should add - this is what seems to me to be happening. I tried an 89MB clip and it processed in a few seconds, so I think only the selected one-minute segment was processed.

dev

Post by dev »

Ah nice one at least we know it's doable and would be a nice added feature in slimjet. You could use this site http://www.tubechop.com/ then use a download extension like downloadall or IDM etc to grab the video from there (temp solution)