Why not separate the Home Page from the New Tab Page?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
highstream

Why not separate the Home Page from the New Tab Page?

Post by highstream »

I don't get it. Traditionally, the Home Page designation and button (icon) has referred to the user's set start page, unless they preferred what the browser has to offer. So first, the new Opera's developers say (literally), "We don't want to be like everyone else, so we're going to make the Home Page icon open a new tab, i.e., the Speed Dial." And now, Slimjet has followed two-thirds of the way in their footsteps, forcing the user to make a choice in Settings between having the Home Page open a new tab with the Home Page or a new tab with the Speed Dial, i.e., only one or the other (or a blank page). Why not do the common sense functional thing of separating the two? If I want to open or reopen a Home Page, let me get that (and in the same tab, unless I open a new tab first); and if I want a new tab/SD, why not let me get that? It's not like there's a crowd up there on your Address Bar to allow one or the other. Plus, even with Home Page being Home Page, Ctl-T would still open a new tab that shows the SD, just like many browsers have done for several years.

highstream

Re: Why not separate the Home Page from the New Tab Page?

Post by highstream »

Update: it looks like it's working like I want it now. Don't know what's changed, if anything, since what led to the post, but if it keeps working with Home Page button returning the home page and Ctl-T returning the Speed Dial, I'm happy.