Does any one else notice this?

Slimjet bug reports
Morro1969

Does any one else notice this?

Post by Morro1969 »

Not sure whether this is really a bug or not, but I will ask here none the less.

I did not notice this when I tried the Beta version 6, but all of a sudden ( For me at least. ) youtube videos load really slow after having updated to the stable version 6.0.1.0. I have SlimJet set to force FLash player and SmartVideo for Youtube to buffer first. In previous versions this buffered the Youtube videos fast as is to be expected with Flash Videos. But now it looks like the videos get loaded as html5 videos ... despite the fact that I force Flash player. Any one else getting this?

* Link to the SmartVideo for Youtube extension in case needed : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... e-ntp-icon

Morro1969

Re: Does any one else notice this?

Post by Morro1969 »

No one has this or has an idea what could be happening?

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Reading the reviews of Smartvideo, sorted by Recent, is revealing. I would try disabling it. Then I would uncheck Force Flash and see if there's a difference. I recently dropped MagicActions for YouTube because I documented a performance hit from it.

dev

Post by dev »

turn off hardware acceleration see if that helps. or try https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/494-y ... er-auto-hd the home here tells you how to use them https://greasyfork.org/en and another great one with added options https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/943-youtube-center

as paul says the extension has problems it has not been updated since 2014 and magic actions has similar problems. google want you to use html5 with dash playback so trying to get around that can be a pain in the ass

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Hey dev,

I'm now in the habit of testing video playback on each smaller unit, because the current flash/html5 situation is a bit of a mess. That's how I discovered the performance hit Magic Actions has. I also test with and without hardware acceleration, as you say, watching Task Manager as I play the video. I prefer HA, but it doesn't go down well on all units.

dev

Post by dev »

i do know if you disable dash you can't get 60fps quality on youtube

yeah paul i don't think there is a simple one for all complete solution for this problem really too many variables , internet speed, processor speed, operating system, graphic card etc etc and yes html5 vs flash mess

Morro1969

Post by Morro1969 »

Well I tried disabling "Force Flash" ... I tried disabling "Hardware acceleration", and that did not make a difference at all.

Then I removed Smartvideo, exited SlimJet and used CCleaner to remove as many things as it could. Then in SlimJet I used crtl+shift+delete to remove everything since the beginning of time so to speak. After that I first installed TamperMonkey followed by the Youtube Center userscript. I kept the settings mostly at default and only set it to stop auto play, and at first it seemed to be working, but after having restarted SlimJet and trying to load a Youtube video ... this happened?

http://s176.photobucket.com/user/Illius ... sort=3&o=0

I tried a few more but the same thing kept happening, and some videos started right away without using the "stop auto-play" function from Youtube Center userscript?

So after that I removed Youtube Center userscript through TamperMonkey and then tried the "YouTube Auto Buffer & Auto HD" userscript. That one did not stop any video from auto playing? So unfortunately that one did not solve it for me either. I also tried MagicAction and that one did not solve it for me. ( Some how the stop auto-play function for it also did not work for me? )

The only thing I have not tried yet is doing a clean install of SlimJet, but that is only because I doubt that it will solve anything either.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

I would create a clean profile and see what that does. MagicActions always did stop autoplay here, and I just checked and it's still working on SJ-Linux 6.0.1 if it's set to do so. There was one recent review of SmartVideo that said it didn't uninstall completely.

dev

Post by dev »

You do have to mess with settings on the scripts , your picture looks a settings that has made the player pop out a bit like cinema mode in magic actions.

For simple settings try magic actions with default just alter force flash enable stop autoplay enable speed boost (mess about with this settings on/off) then untick the force flash setting in slimjets own settings
i would pick a default lower resolution as this can affect things so try 720p instead of 1080p

there is reset registry settings in slimjet )settings scroll down a bit) might help

A question why not use html5 instead of flash ?

Morro1969

Post by Morro1969 »

Well a clean install made it so that MagicAction now works. But the speedboost does not nearly work as great as I hat with SmartVideo in SlimJet up to ( And Including. ) version 5.0.17.0. I am sad to see that SmartVideo no longer works for me.

@Dev

Well I prefer Flash because the buffer time for those videos are shorter then Html5. Yesterday I tried a random Youtube video that was around 4 minutes, and with MagicAction set to load it as Flash it took around 3 minutes or so load, ( SmartVideo did it faster in all version 5 of SlimJet, but no more in v6. :( ) while when I set MagicAction to use Html5 it took more then double that time. From what I understand Html5 is safer then Flash, but now that I have to wait longer for flash videos to buffer completely, I am even more annoyed so to speak that Html5 takes even longer. I simply do not like waiting longer for a video to be fully buffered then the playtime is for those videos.