Slimjet 5.0 Install Issues

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
paul1149

Slimjet 5.0 Install Issues

Post by paul1149 »

Where is it? I've installed and reinstalled the x64 debian package, both times successfully, and the program is nowhere to be found. I'm on LinuxLite, a ubuntu derivative, x64.
Last edited by paul1149 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

paul1149

Re: Slimjet 5.0.0.0 Beta Released

Post by paul1149 »

This was not a good experience. I suspected I might have to reboot for SJ5 to take effect. I think I was right, because on rebooting the five tabs that were open in SJ opened fine, but twice when I went to Menu / Settings the system froze and crashed. This system has been very solid.

I then uninstalled 5. Shortcuts did not work now so I reinstalled 4.15. The existing tabs would not load, but new tabs are loading fine. My settings seem to have been preserved, but now the bookmarks bar lacks the ability to display favicons, even after clearing cache.

paul1149

Re: Slimjet 5.0 LinuxLite Install Issues

Post by paul1149 »

I see 5.0.0.1 is out today. However, with no response to my problem, how will I know when to try another installation? I don't feel like continually tanking my system in hopes that the problem has been dealt with.

There is no change log for the beta that I can see on the site, there is no beta forum here, and there is no response to my problem in this thread. This is the best browser, but the lack of communication is its weakest point, IMO.

LaneLester

Post by LaneLester »

Yes, there doesn't seem to be any support on here. I couldn't get either 4 or 5 to run in Debian/LXDE. The person who recommended Slimjet also recommended Maxthon, and it's working pretty well. I confess Firefox is still the browser with which I'm most comfortable.

Lane

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

The desktop is a good point. LinuxLite is a ubuntu derivative that uses XFCE. SJ 4 is working fine here, except I have to reset it to Default almost every session for some reason.

Maxthon is my backup, and performs pretty well. But I prefer SJ. Firefox, which comes with LL, got uninstalled. :)

LaneLester

Post by LaneLester »

Your positive experience led me to try 4 and 5 again in a new minimum install of Debian/Openbox. No luck, however. When I execute flashpeak-slimjet in the terminal, the cursor moves to the next line and that's it. No error message or anything. Very frustrating.

Lane

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Maybe you could set up LL in a virtual machine and test it there. I'm wondering if the desktop environment has a role. I don't see why it would though. My LL is 64 bit.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Yesterday's new v5 did better. It lasted about 5 minutes before hosing the system. Thankfully I took a restore point so getting back to v4 was easy. I also tried the tar.xz, but couldn't get to first base installing it.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Just tried latest SJ 5 on a Win7 x64 machine. Ran 9%-16% of CPU idling with three tabs open. Noticed because laptop fan began accelerating. Reverted to 4.15 via windows restore point, still needed a complete SJ reinstall with new user profile. cpu usage with same tabs back to 0-1% with 4. I don't think 5's problems are relegated to Linux, and i don't think it should be the site's primary download. I'm staying with 4 until I think something's changed.

Also, ublock origin is hitting more script ads than built-in adblock plus, and has a far more useful interface.