Extensions not updating. Why?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Anonymosity

Extensions not updating. Why?

Post by Anonymosity »

Why would one chromium browser (Vivaldi) still update its extensions but another one (Slimjet) no longer will? Do they not have the same rendering engine and the same core?

AllanHigdon

Re: Extensions not updating. Why?

Post by AllanHigdon »

I haven't seen that problem with Slimjet before.
Have you tried manually updating them?
Enter "chrome://extensions/" in the Address Bar, enable "Developer mode" in the upper-right corner, and click on the Update button to update any of your extensions.

Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I always have the developer mode enabled. The Update button does nothing except show "Extensions updated", but they are not updated. GetCRX no longer works to get the installers for extensions. Fortunately, it works with Vivaldi. I can still manually update Slimjet's extensions from the .crx files.

AllanHigdon

Post by AllanHigdon »

If you haven't already tried it, I would try removing all of them and adding them back to Slimjet.

Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I tried removing the extensions and adding back just GetCRX, but it still does not work. I cannot check updates because nothing has been updated today (I used Vivaldi to check that), but I am betting that does not work either.

AllanHigdon

Post by AllanHigdon »

The extensions I use don't need updating very often, so this could be a legitimate bug.
Hopefully, someone else can confirm having the same problem.

CrockPot

Post by CrockPot »

No problems here. Just updated one of mine and i'm with the latest Slimjet version.
@AllanHigdon i can think of two reasons. It's a long shot but if you by any chance running the browser with --disable-background-networking command line flag,this might be it. Or you're using adblocker and clients2.google.com domain is listed/blocked.

Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I got the problem fixed. My outbound firewall asks me what is allowed every time Slimjet is updated instead of using the rules already there. I did not recognize googlehomeservices, or whatever the exact name is. I compared the rules for the newest Slimjet with those of Vivaldi and saw a difference.