Ooooer... Latest "Update" making Slimjet unusable

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
donaldduck

Re: Ooooer... Latest "Update" making Slimjet unusable

Post by donaldduck »

The downlaoded file is still there. Yes, the installed program flashes on instantaneously and then disappears. Could it be some antispyware program I have that's shutting it down? If so, why was it running for a week or so, and then the problem started recurring again? Windows Security has Flashpeak Slimjet OK'd.
Last edited by donaldduck on Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

Well, I've got Slimjet again...for now anyway, the 39.0.5 edition. I used MS Edge to download the "offline installer" this time.

Add later: And now it's gone again! Flashes and disappears. It appears that I'm the only one with this problem, at least on here...

6/26/2023 I've had constant trouble with Slimjet lately. I'm switching to Brave as my secondary browser and keeping Vivaldi as my primary.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

I'm persistent - and I've had Slimjet so long...so I have now installed the stable v.40 which is working at the moment anyway. As before, I cldnt download it with my Vivaldi browser so i did so with MS Edge. I am testing it on downloading an audiobook. Malwarebytes wanted to quarantine Slimjet as riskware. Why is that? The download is going very slowly. I think I better just forget about Slimjet.

AllanHigdon

Post by AllanHigdon »

donaldduck wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:35 pm
I'm persistent - and I've had Slimjet so long...so I have now installed the stable v.40 which is working at the moment anyway. As before, I cldnt download it with my Vivaldi browser so i did so with MS Edge. I am testing it on downloading an audiobook. Malwarebytes wanted to quarantine Slimjet as riskware. Why is that? The download is going very slowly. I think I better just forget about Slimjet.
For those who are knowledgeable enough to keep their system clean, I think installed AV software is not worth the trouble.
Even the Freeware version of Malwarebytes has to be installed just for scanning and, like many others, it has way too many false positives.
I've always preferred Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, an on-demand scanner that you download without installing. From what I've heard, Kaspersky is known for very few false positives. I know I haven't seen any since I starting using it over a year ago. I'm beginning to wonder if Malwarebytes is causing your problem with Slimjet.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

AllanHigdon wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:24 pm
donaldduck wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:35 pm
For those who are knowledgeable enough to keep their system clean, I think installed AV software is not worth the trouble.
Even the Freeware version of Malwarebytes has to be installed just for scanning and, like many others, it has way too many false positives.
I've always preferred Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, an on-demand scanner that you download without installing. From what I've heard, Kaspersky is known for very few false positives. I know I haven't seen any since I starting using it over a year ago. I'm beginning to wonder if Malwarebytes is causing your problem with Slimjet.

"Malwarebytes has to be installed just for scanning and, like many others, it has way too many false positives"

I've had Malwarebytes for years, but contrary to giving false positives it never seems to find anything at all. Right now I have their free Premium trial for a week. Apparently Mal. did highlight Slimjet at one point, but I have it on the Allow list. I used Slimjet for years with no problem until recently, and I have had no problem with any other browser.

AllanHigdon

Post by AllanHigdon »

donaldduck wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:15 pm
I've had Malwarebytes for years, but contrary to giving false positives it never seems to find anything at all. Right now I have their free Premium trial for a week. Apparently Mal. did highlight Slimjet at one point, but I have it on the Allow list. I used Slimjet for years with no problem until recently, and I have had no problem with any other browser.
Is Malwarebytes the only Security software that you have installed?
I do know that the most recent review of Malwarebytes on SnapFiles Web site is not positive.
I used to swear by this soft, even paid for the Pro. But on the last scan it actually deleted stuff from my drive without asking for a Quarantine or other choices, like it had before. I had backup installers and a full backup anyway. But please! Never again.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

AllanHigdon wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:43 pm
donaldduck wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:15 pm
Is Malwarebytes the only Security software that you have installed?
I do know that the most recent review of Malwarebytes on SnapFiles Web site is not positive.
I used to swear by this soft, even paid for the Pro. But on the last scan it actually deleted stuff from my drive without asking for a Quarantine or other choices, like it had before. I had backup installers and a full backup anyway. But please! Never again.
That last quote is from a review posted almost three years ago. Otherwise I don't really see anything negative about it there. I also have Windows Defender, CCleaner, and Glary Utilities.