ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
dev

Re: ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED

Post by dev »

francescobat wrote:It is a bug symantec certificate in chromium 53.
I got an answer in mageia forum:
https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic. ... 909#p66890
Bye
Francesco bat
what i get lol This site can’t provide a secure connection

forums.mageia.org uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

Ontario Canada

Post by Ontario Canada »

I just checked (Dec 03, 6:30am) and still the same problem unresolved.

I also checked the exact same sites (my bank and amazon.com & amazon.ca) on all my other browsers installed - Firefox, Chrome, Chromium, Vivaldi, Opera & Pale Moon - and only Slimjet has the problem.

So, this is a Slimjet issue regardless of explanations, as Slimjet, Chrome, Vivaldi & Opera are all built upon the same Chromium base, yet all but Slimjet work fine.

marlonbrando

Post by marlonbrando »

I found an ugly workaround for this situation.

I edited the last line of the flashpeak-slimjet file to look like this:

exec -a "$0" "$HERE/slimjet" --ignore-certificate-errors "$PROFILE_DIRECTORY_FLAG" "$@"

slimjet complains about the option when it first starts but I can access amazon.com again.

It seems like setting the CertificateTransparencyEnforcementDisabledForUrls policy for
specific urls should have worked but slimjet didn't seem to recognize it.

Ontario Canada

Post by Ontario Canada »

marlonbrando wrote:I found an ugly workaround for this situation.

exec -a "$0" "$HERE/slimjet" --ignore-certificate-errors "$PROFILE_DIRECTORY_FLAG" "$@"

slimjet complains about the option when it first starts but I can access amazon.com again.

It seems like setting the CertificateTransparencyEnforcementDisabledForUrls policy for
I'm a Linux user, but not one who is really nuts-and-bolts savvy, so I might be wrong, but doesn't that leave you fully open to actual security issues from fake sites? If so, think I'd rather just use another browser for now.

BTW, I notice Chrome is at series 55 now, so I hope the Slimjet team makes the changeover asap.

bobww9@gmail.com

Post by bobww9@gmail.com »

Update:
Craigslist graphics and all running normal in past 3 hours. Earlier today was not functioning.
Amazon still out, no graphics.

Ontario Canada

Post by Ontario Canada »

Well, checked again - same situation - only Slimjet giving the error. My first post on this was November 30, and now it is December 04. Checked updater - no new version available.

bobww9@gmail.com

Post by bobww9@gmail.com »

Update: 1/4/16 08:45PST
All sites seem to work after the following work around: Amazon and others that I have tested.
Workaround:
To get the graphics to work, you have to get the error screen to come up. At the bottom of the error screen, Slimjet has an "Advance" tab (marked Advanced and underlined?). Click on that and choose the underlined unsecure option. This should bring up Amazon or whomever. Once this is done, you should be able to get into the web site normally without any problems.
The only downside is, Slimjet is telling me that the connection is unsecure. This might be true and I would not do any credit card/fund transfer/money related transactions over it. Hopefully Slimjet will provide the " green lock logo" which implies a secure connection at the transaction time. I will only know when I need to make a money transaction.

Ontario Canada

Post by Ontario Canada »

The problem with that is: how would you know if you were using a fake version of the site unless you make sure by carefully checking the spelling of the name in the address bar. The whole point of that error msg is to prevent security problems, password theft and browser hijacking.

I personally believe you should never do that for any site you need to use a password on, so that makes for a fairly worthless browser until they get around to bother fixing it - it has been like this for 5 1/2 days now, which is too long IMO.

marlonbrando

Post by marlonbrando »

Ontario Canada wrote:
marlonbrando wrote:I found an ugly workaround for this situation.

I'm a Linux user, but not one who is really nuts-and-bolts savvy, so I might be wrong, but doesn't that leave you fully open to actual security issues from fake sites? If so, think I'd rather just use another browser for now.
Yes, it turns off issues with certificate errors so it makes the browser less than secure. That's why I called it "ugly" but that didn't make the security issue clear.

I'm a pretty careful internet user so I'm willing to live with that until this issue is fixed. There is apparently a fix in chromium so I'm hopeful that this issue will eventually be addressed in slimjet.

Ontario Canada

Post by Ontario Canada »

There is apparently a fix in chromium so I'm hopeful that this issue will eventually be addressed in slimjet.
Good to know, and thanks for your reply.

It would have been nice nice to hear that or something similar from Slimjet days ago. As I've said before here - and many times on the Linux Mint forum - Slimjet is my favourite browser to use, but the way Slimjet has handled this is not inspiring. Not even commenting that they know of the issue and are working on it, or something. But just letting it go on for days as if nothing is wrong is, well to repeat - not inspiring.

PS - My Chromium Browser is Version 53.0.2785.143 Built on Ubuntu , running on LinuxMint 18 (64-bit). It however works right, even though it is still at version 53. Chrome is at V. 55.