Slimjet Default Theme

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Flummoxed

Slimjet Default Theme

Post by Flummoxed »

I have a couple of questions:

1. Where is the default Slimjet theme stored?

2. How can I transfer the default theme from an older Slimjet (v20.x) to a newer Slimjet install? (I want to get the old look back).

Thanks

oftentired

Re: Slimjet Default Theme

Post by oftentired »

It will be in the Extensions folder with a series of random letters for the folder name in your default user data folder. My theme folders are located here.

C:\Users\[USER NAME]\AppData\Local\Slimjet\User Data\Default\Extensions
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Flummoxed

Post by Flummoxed »

Thank you very much for your reply, oftentired.

I deleted the new theme folder and then copied the equivalent folder from my old Slimjet to the new one, but when I ran the new browser it still had the same new theme.

I then deleted the folder from the new version without replacing it, and ran the browser again and an identical new folder was created in its place.

Doing a bit-comparison between the contents of this newly generated folder and the contents of the equivalent folder on my old Slimjet showed the contents to be identical. So it seems that the folder that you specified cannot be what determines the default theme.

I should point out that I am using 64bit portable versions, but the folder structure is essentially the same (other than the fact that the settings are stored within the Slimjet program folder and not in the User's AppData folder.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

I've not done it manually, but I think you have to pack it into a CRX file and "fetch" it, or possibly drag and drop it, to the GUI.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Flummoxed

Post by Flummoxed »

Manually pack what, exactly?

The folder that you previously specified has exactly the same contents in both old and new Slimjet versions, so packing and loading that will make no difference because you'd just be loading the same thing.

Presumably you mean packing something else, but I was not clear what you meant in your post. Perhaps you could clarify.

Much appreciated.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

I do suspect the primary method of identifying an installed theme is based on the crazy folder name and the registry data associated with that folder. The browser is trying to protect you from nefarious activity by not allowing an unrecognized theme to be put to use. This is why I suggested packing the older theme into a CRX file format so that it will be recognized by the browser and properly "installed". If you want to try and bypass that you can try deleting only the contents of the newer theme folder and copy the contents from the older theme to the newer theme folder without changing the actual folder name. My best guess is that won't work, but I was messing around with it I would try it just to see.

I'm not an expert with this topic. I've never put one of these together. Straight from google, "A CRX file is an extension that adds extra features or themes to the Google Chrome web browser. It is saved in a compressed format and may contain .JS, .JSON, and other files, such as images and executable programs".

I did notice when using google that there are some websites that will allow you to pack files into a CRX format and download them. I've not visited the websites so I cannot recommend any or vouch for them.

This is the limit of what I'm going to do on this topic.

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

ttomomo@gmail.com

Post by ttomomo@gmail.com »

I always consider the Slimjet toolbar icons 'old-fashoned', especially using Slimjet in Windows 10. I prefer those in your SlimBrowser, they appear much better.