Two concurrent versions

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
carlnielsen

Two concurrent versions

Post by carlnielsen »

Hi

One great thing about Slimjet is that you can download and install old versions. Our wonderful revenue service still relies of Adobe Flash for all forms, so I need to run Slimjet 14 specifically for that webiste. But of course, Slimjet is also my main browser. Is it possible to run both versions concurrently. I am running in Linux Mint.

oftentired

Re: Two concurrent versions

Post by oftentired »

I've never tried it, but you should be able to. You would need to have one of the installations as stand-alone in order to have both "installed" at the same time. I suggest ver 14 as stand-alone since you will not be upgrading that one. And auto update from a full install of the current version shouldn't affect the stand-alone from ver 14.

Be sure and turn auto-update off on your ver 14.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

carlnielsen

Post by carlnielsen »

Great. Thanks. Will try that.

How to install as stand-alone? I assume I just install from the Zip download? Will try that anyway.

carlnielsen

Post by carlnielsen »

I tried extracting the zip to opt/slimjet14 and running flashpeak-slimjet from there, but it got confused and just opened a new window in my existing (and running) ver23 of the software. I had a quick look in the flashpeak-slimjet script: it is way beyond me, but I did see a reference to /opt/slimjet (which is my "live" version of the software). So that might be why? Maybe I can move my main slimjet to /opt/slimjet-live or something like that, but I am worried that will break other things.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Someone running Linux needs to step in here. I'm not so good with Linux technical issues.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

Perhaps you should ask this question on the Linux Mint forum:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/