No sound on linux [32 bit Slimjet] (Solved)

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
missmoondog

Re: No sound on linux [32 bit Slimjet]

Post by missmoondog »

Gailey755 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:04 am
Any other individual have this issue on Linux, 32-bit pc or is it just me?
obviously not just you considering 5 pages on this topic!

edit:
here's the start of page 6 even

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

missmoondog wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:20 am
Gailey755 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:04 am
Any other individual have this issue on Linux, 32-bit pc or is it just me?
obviously not just you considering 5 pages on this topic!

edit:
here's the start of page 6 even
Yep, and still no sound on 23.0.10 32-bit either.

barrycforever

Re: No sound on linux

Post by barrycforever »

I tried to copy in the libffmpeg library and that didn't work, but I left that in.

As Texstar hinted at an issue with pulseaudio
Texstar. wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:26 pm
NO SOUND on Linux with Flashpeak Slimjet 23.0.6.0. No pulseaudio stream ever shows up in the volume control. A few people have got sound to work by stripping out pulseaudio and using alsa only.
, I finally got the following to work by bypassing pulseaudio and using ALSA directly!!:

pasuspender -- /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet --alsa-output-device=hw:1,0

This is very frustrating, but it's nice to get something to work on 32-bit Linux!
Barry

PS This was an Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (from a Lubuntu Alternate ISO).

ThePillenwerfer

Post by ThePillenwerfer »

THANK YOU BarryCForever!

I had to change hw:1,0 to hw:0,0 and now have sound.

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

ThePillenwerfer wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:24 am
THANK YOU BarryCForever!

I had to change hw:1,0 to hw:0,0 and now have sound.
Is there more to it than just entering that command? I tried 1,0 & 0,0, still no sound.

ThePillenwerfer

Post by ThePillenwerfer »

My understanding is that that number denotes which soundcard to use.

To find it run:—

Code: Select all

aplay -l
Which gives me:—

Code: Select all

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD1984A Analog [AD1984A Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 2: AD1984A Alt Analog [AD1984A Alt Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
As you can see, I've got a "card 0."

This fix seems to work but not perfectly. Sometimes Slimjet needs restarting before the sound will work as it does if the computer has been suspended. It's certainly a lot better than nothing though.

barrycforever

Post by barrycforever »

Yes, I did a reinstall of Lubuntu to try to get more than 4GB (with PAE) and I found the command didn't work anymore after the Lubuntu reinstall with this error message:

[1596:1596:0813/180120.158273:ERROR:alsa_util.cc(204)] PcmOpen: hw:1,0,No such file or directory

and similar to what ThePillenwerfer said with "aplay -l" , I ran:
barryc@mini:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
HDA NVidia at 0xf3100000 irq 21
and found that I had to change the command to:

pasuspender -- /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet --alsa-output-device=hw:0,0

for it to work again this afternoon on the new install of Ubuntu!

Barry

PS I think I had gotten it to hw:1,0 because I uninstalled and reinstalled PulseAudio trying to get it to work on the first installation.

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

Finally, I have some sound :!: :D 8-)

I have to open Slimjet by entering that command in terminal. That's how it works for me anyway. I need hw:0,0 as well.

I'm going to mark this thread as partly Solved since it's more of a workaround than a real solution (sound doesn't work everywhere). Best we can do right now. Thanks to all.

michael-hi

Re: No sound on linux [32 bit Slimjet] (partly Solved)

Post by michael-hi »

A huge "Thank you" to barrycforever for coming up with this magic formula which finally gives sound on the 32 bit Linux version. I first tried Slimjet a few months ago and was impressed except for this problem which the developers never seemed to fix.

Marking it "Partly solved" may be a bit pessimistic as it seems to work OK for me on two different laptops. Of course, for some media to work at all you still need to have the correct up-to-date libffmpeg.so file in your /opt/slimjet folder.

You can open Slimjet from the command line using this new command although that leaves a minimized Terminal sitting in the panel. So I put the whole command in the menu editor item for FlashPeak Slimjet and now it opens normally from the main menu (this is in MX Linux).

For anyone who finds this latest fix for sound doesn't work, make sure you copy and paste the command (ending with 0,0) from barrycforever's latest post. If you type the command by hand it's easy to make typos. Specifically, the first time I tried I failed to notice that there is a space after the first pair of dashes but not after the second pair.

sleeper10

Re: No sound on linux [32 bit Slimjet] (partly Solved)

Post by sleeper10 »

michael-hi wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:37 am
Marking it "Partly solved" may be a bit pessimistic as it seems to work OK for me on two different laptops. Of course, for some media to work at all you still need to have the correct up-to-date libffmpeg.so file in your /opt/slimjet folder.
I don't think it's pessimistic at all. I still get no sound on iHeartRadio, Jango, etc.There is no correct up-to-date libffmpeg.so file. If there was, we wouldn't need this workaround for sound. So, while I appreciate some sound, a real fix must come from Slimjet. If you or others get sound everywhere with this, great. But, for me, it's just a partial fix.