How to stop extensions from auto-updating?

Slimjet bug reports
nima_amin

How to stop extensions from auto-updating?

Post by nima_amin »

Hello, I need to manually re-install the previous or pre-previous version of Flash Video Downloader (NextGenDev), since the recent version from 6th May doesn't recognize anything (if you look at the comments in the webstore you see that this is not only my problem). The developer has no support. I found the crx files of the older versions, however on browser restart the damn thing updates immediately to the current version even though I have "keep old plugin versions running" enabled in the settings. I can't find anything to stop this nagging behaviour. Pease help!

Tweakerz

Re: How to stop extensions from auto-updating?

Post by Tweakerz »

This applies to Windows only, if you are not using Windows disregard and know that I can't promise this will work but might be worth a shot.

Try opening the extension folder specific to the extension you want to stop from updating.

Found here: C:\Users\<Insert your own username here>\AppData\Local\Slimjet\User Data\Default\Extensions\<Your Extension Folder Here>

With the random names of the folders, you'll need to figure out which one is the proper one.

Once you locate the folder try making that folder Read Only. There are programs out there you could also try to lock folders but just using Windows would be my choice (assuming it works).

You might be able to edit the manifest file and remove the URL related to the update as an alternative but again I do not know if it will work or not, just a few ideas that come to mind that seem like they'd work.

nima_amin

Post by nima_amin »

Thank you very much, yes I use Windows and Slimjet Portable. The strange thing is that I can find only one userprofle (of two I have set up). Under which name is the second hidden and where?

The one I find is under Slimjet - User Data - Profile 1. This has the following folders with the word extensions in them: Extension Rules, Extension State, Extensions, Local Extension Settings and Sync Extension Settings.

The folder named Extensions has 6 subfolders even though I have 13 extensions installed. These subfolders carry names such as eg. bpconcammlapcogcnnelfmaeghhagj. This does not really help to identify what is kept therein. Any idea how I can find that out? And where are the other 7 extension installed to Profile 1?

And given the case that I manage to identify the extension is question how do I further proceed? Re-intall the older version to the browser without restarting the browser and then making the folder read only?

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

I did not realize it was portable you were using but you are in the correct location and have found the randomly named extension folders. I used the portable version and had an issue and switched to the installed version so I never used it long enough to know much about it, sorry.

Opening the randomly named folders you can sometimes locate images or the easier way is to open the manifest file (open in notepad) and figure out which extension folder you are looking at.

As to the number of extensions and other profile you have set up I am unsure, sorry. I did find that my extensions and number of folders also differ.

I would try to install the older extension version and shut down the browser and a see if the read-only option works. Again, this is just an idea and it may not work at all but it is worth a shot. Finding and removing the URL from the manifest may work or it may break the extension for all I know, again it too is just an idea to try sort of like using the hosts file to block specific URLs (which if you knew them might also work?).

Hopefully, someone else will see activity on this post and can offer an answer that is helpful if this does not help.

Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I have yet to see an extension update, even when I click "Update" in the window. How can anyone have a problem with auto-updating? I am getting my updates for extensions manually by using GrabCRX to pack them from the addons site and dropping them on the extensions window.

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

I have seen mine update occasionally when opening the browser, some of them even open a new tab when they've been updated but I don't think many update too often so it doesn't happen much.

Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

But uBlock Origin has updated several times, but not ever auto-updated. I have to grab it and update it manually.

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

Anonymosity wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:43 am
But uBlock Origin has updated several times, but not ever auto-updated. I have to grab it and update it manually.
I assume it depends on the extension as some certainly will update without user intervention but it probably varies with each developer and the choices they make (again, I assume). I just know some occasionally open a new tab when opening the browser stating they've updated though it's so rare I can't recall which to offer an example at the moment.

nima_amin

Post by nima_amin »

Anonymosity wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:37 am
I have yet to see an extension update, even when I click "Update" in the window. How can anyone have a problem with auto-updating? I am getting my updates for extensions manually by using GrabCRX to pack them from the addons site and dropping them on the extensions window.
Could you then please kindly tell me how to prevent them from auto-updating? All 16 of mine are frequently auto-updating, and especilly those who are video and audio downloader become dysfunctional after an update while the previous versions worked. For example Flash Video Downloader Next Gen Dev used to recognize EVERYTHING until version 31.2.7. and since version 31.2.9 recognizeds nothing at all. I don't want the same to happen with Video Downloader from FBDown.net either.

I have downloaded the crx files from this website https://www.crx4chrome.com but obviously Slimjet has now found out that people are doing this since if I try to install an older version I get either "the header is invalid" or "from this website no extensions can be installed". Same in developer mode and in not developer mode. I am fuming. Why can't I decide myself wehther I want to update or not?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11