No sound on linux [32 bit Slimjet] (Solved)

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
sleeper10

No sound on linux [32 bit Slimjet] (Solved)

Post by sleeper10 »

EDIT: I'm hijacking and locking and sticking the OP with possible resolutions form within the thread to make it easier for folks joining this thread to try some solutions that might work without having to slog their way through the entire thread to find them. Click the little tiny arrow after Texstar's name to jump to the actual post.
sleeper10 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:01 pm
It turns out that my sound was blocked by extensions on iHeartRadio & Jango. So, now that I seem to have sound everywhere, I marked this as Solved.
barrycforever reports this third solution
barrycforever wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:31 am
I tried to copy in the libffmpeg library and that didn't work, but I left that in.
As Texstar hinted at an issue with pulseaudio
Texstar. wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:26 pm
NO SOUND on Linux with Flashpeak Slimjet 23.0.6.0. No pulseaudio stream ever shows up in the volume control. A few people have got sound to work by stripping out pulseaudio and using alsa only.
I finally got the following to work by bypassing pulseaudio and using ALSA directly!!:
pasuspender -- /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet --alsa-output-device=hw:1,0
This is very frustrating, but it's nice to get something to work on 32-bit Linux!
Barry
PS This was an Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (from a Lubuntu Alternate ISO).
Texstar reports that this second possible solution is working for 64 bit users
Texstar. wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:35 am
In another install that has never had slimjet installed on it.
I put this libffmpeg.so in my /opt/slimjet folder
https://github.com/iteufel/nwjs-ffmpeg- ... ux-x64.zip
Then I symlinked as root
ln -fs /var/lib/dbus/machine-id /etc/machine-id
rebooted and got sound. I friend of mine did the same and did not get sound. Another user did the same as me and got sound. YMMV
The first possible solution from Texstar
Texstar. wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:47 am
I got me some sound in my slimjet!
I created in a text editor as root /etc/modprobe.d/default.conf
options snd_hda_intel index=1
Original Post -------------------------------- Original Post
I'm on Linux Mint 18, 32 bit. Just installed Slimjet version 22.0.4.0 & no sound, videos play, but without sound. Sound works fine on Firefox & Chromium and worked fine on previous Slimjet versions. I've tried various ffmpegs, even grabbed the chromium one, but no success. I'm stumped, any ideas?

Edit: A bug maybe? Slimjet won't open with some ffmpegs. With others it opens, but no sound.
Last edited by sleeper10 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

sleeper10

Re: No sound on linux

Post by sleeper10 »

Anyone else have this problem on linux, 32 bit pc or is it just me?

Texstar.

Post by Texstar. »

I am using the 64bit version of 22.0.4.0 and I have tried just about every libffmpeg.so that I can find into my /opt/slimjet folder. I get video but no sound at all. Can somebody send me a link to the working copy of libffmpeg.so?

Thanks!
Tex

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

Texstar. wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:30 pm
I am using the 64bit version of 22.0.4.0 and I have tried just about every libffmpeg.so that I can find into my /opt/slimjet folder. I get video but no sound at all. Can somebody send me a link to the working copy of libffmpeg.so?

Thanks!
Tex
It's a known bug that's currently being investigated. Hopefully, there will be a fix soon. Did you try the libffmpeg.so in Chromium? That one gives me sound on my 64bit laptop, but not on my 32bit one. Might work for you, worth a try anyway.

missmoondog

Post by missmoondog »

sleeper10 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:01 am
Texstar. wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:30 pm

Thanks!
Tex
It's a known bug that's currently being investigated. Hopefully, there will be a fix soon. Did you try the libffmpeg.so in Chromium? That one gives me sound on my 64bit laptop, but not on my 32bit one. Might work for you, worth a try anyway.
hello all,
just joined this forum to reply to this topic.

i saw this topic a while ago when trying to figure out why i lost sound, which was after last update.

how long does this investigation take? this has been an issue on both my 32bit linux machines for quite some time now. lost sound with the last update. sound works just fine on my other linux 64bit machines. any other browser would've had this fixed WAY faster than this browser is getting fixed!

really like slimjet, especially compared to chromium or chrome, but this no sound thing is a real killer.

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

I suspect we will have to wait until Slimjet gets updated to Chromium version 73 (currently 72). There just doesn't seem to be a v. 72 libffmpeg.so that gives sound on 32 bit. Hope the next update solves it. If not, good bye Slimjet, hello Chromium for me. :(

ThePillenwerfer

Post by ThePillenwerfer »

I had the same problem but found the version 21.0.7.0 works fine.

missmoondog

Post by missmoondog »

sleeper10 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:18 pm
I suspect we will have to wait until Slimjet gets updated to Chromium version 73 (currently 72). There just doesn't seem to be a v. 72 libffmpeg.so that gives sound on 32 bit. Hope the next update solves it. If not, good bye Slimjet, hello Chromium for me. :(
yep, same here. either chromium or vivaldi.
ThePillenwerfer wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:45 am
I had the same problem but found the version 21.0.7.0 works fine.
just what i want to do is use an older, insecure browser version!

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

I just tried Chromium 73 & sound works fine, So, whenever Slimjet gets up to that version, we should be good. Fingers crossed. :lol:

missmoondog

Post by missmoondog »

sleeper10 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:44 am
I just tried Chromium 73 & sound works fine, So, whenever Slimjet gets up to that version, we should be good. Fingers crossed. :lol:
yes, chromium 32bit works but, to me, it's no where near as fast as slimjet.