Alleviation solution regarding to the spectre/meltdown bug

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
flashpeak
Site Admin

Alleviation solution regarding to the spectre/meltdown bug

Post by flashpeak »

In light of the recent bugs(Spectre & Meltdown) with Intel/AMD CPUs, Slimjet users can take the following action to alleviate the security issues caused by these bugs: Type chrome://flags/#enable-site-per-process into address bar and turn on the option "Strict Site Isolation". However, this feature is highly experimental and you might experience some small performance hit as well. If you notice some functionality issues after turning on this option, please feel free to report it here.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

spasig111

Re: Alleviation solution regarding to the spectre/meltdown b

Post by spasig111 »

It is unusable with this option,
and keeps crashing the browser!

I have sent numerous error reports.

dev

Post by dev »

flashpeak wrote:In light of the recent bugs(Spectre & Meltdown) with Intel/AMD CPUs, Slimjet users can take the following action to alleviate the security issues caused by these bugs: Type chrome://flags/#enable-site-per-process into address bar and turn on the option "Strict Site Isolation". However, this feature is highly experimental and you might experience some small performance hit as well. If you notice some functionality issues after turning on this option, please feel free to report it here.
doesn't work for me even when that flag is enabled my slimjet is still vulnerable .......https://xlab.tencent.com/special/spectr ... check.html windows 7 latest version of slimjet installed
for that setting to work i'm pretty sure people's operating system need to have been patched too , so windows update patch , manufacturer of what chip your using patch etc etc

temp_account

Post by temp_account »

If only one CPU core is used for all Slimjet processes, then the test will always be passed! But the performance is very bad.
"Strict site isolation" flag is enabled.
Windows 7 x64, latest Slimjet x64, "strict site isolation" flag is enabled

dev

Post by dev »

latest build slimjet (beta) patch for spectre (google chrome 64 is fine) not slimjet (windows 10 and tested on a windows 7 build)
https://xlab.tencent.com/special/spectr ... check.html
$ Start checking...
$ Processing 8M cache, waiting...
$
$ Check finished
$ Your browser is VULNERABLE to Spectre
$ Please update your browser immediately

ahmed111

Re: Alleviation solution regarding to the spectre/meltdown bug

Post by ahmed111 »

That is helpful

Anonymosity

Re: Alleviation solution regarding to the spectre/meltdown bug

Post by Anonymosity »

I just checked all 5 browsers on my Mac, and they all came up "Not Vulnerable".