Tor

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
JosephWebber

Tor

Post by JosephWebber »

I use Slimjet with the latest version of Startpage which includes Anonymous View.
Has anyone compared this with Tor Browser pros and cons, or are they not comparable?

hemlok89

Re: Tor

Post by hemlok89 »

Tor browser is based on Mozilla's Gecko engine. It also connects to TOR network. Slimjet is a customised Chromium browser. These two are completely different.

JosephWebber

Post by JosephWebber »

I am aware that they are different. I should have been more specific.
From a security and/or privacy point of view, what are the pros and cons of each?

hemlok89

Post by hemlok89 »

Tor browser connects to a network called onion, that is a proxy network. Domains in this network has an onion suffix. In theory it is highly anonymous, and protected from snooping. But if you use general sites like google or facebook, TOR is meaningless. Slimjet syncs with google. Don't know how much they care about privacy. Generally chromium browsers should not be used if you are too cautious about privacy. For day to day use with a good privacy setting. I would suggest you try Firefox. As long you use google or facebook or any site or services that relies on advertisement, you will lose your privacy.

JosephWebber

Post by JosephWebber »

Thanks for the reply.
Just for information, I don't use Google or Facebook or any social media.
I used DuckDuckGo for a while then switched to Startpage, which is Google with adverts and history stripped away. It now also has Anonymous View which brings any webpage accessed into the Startpage environment.
And I wrap all that with Sandboxie.

shellaterrace

Post by shellaterrace »

JosephWebber wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:40 am
I use Slimjet with the latest version of Startpage which includes Anonymous View.
Has anyone compared this with Tor Browser pros and cons, or are they not comparable?
Have not tried Tor but use Slimjet and it's good so far.

JosephWebber

Post by JosephWebber »

I omitted to mention that I also use KeyScrambler and a VPN.