White background suddenly changed to yellow

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
joerotello

White background suddenly changed to yellow

Post by joerotello »

Updated to Version 20.0.4.0:

Suddenly the screen background suddenly changed from standard white web-page background to yellow page background ...and that makes using SlimJet VERY hard on my eyes...

So far, can not find any possible way to change the screen background back to white, as it has been for the few years we have been using SlimJet.

Until Version 20, all the previous SlimJet version and build updates have gone quite well...except for now...and updating to Version 20 suddenly brought on the above seen problem.

Seems "strange" that this background color change or reset back to normal is so hard to do, and how to do it does not seem to exist anywhere in the various Settings menus or lists.

About SlimJet reports: Version 20.0.4.0 (based on Chromium 68.0.3440.75) (Official Build) (64-bit)

Operating System in use: Windows 7 SP1

Joe Rotello
Knoxville, TN

oftentired

Re: White background suddenly changed to yellow

Post by oftentired »

This is unusual. I have not seen a post before your about this problem.

I have 2 things you might try.

First open a browser in incognito mode, this will run the browser without any extensions, allowing you to see if the problem is related to an extension.

Regardless of the outcome running incognito, double check your extensions, if you have one that changes the background color uninstall it and see how it goes after that running a normal instance of the browser.

Second, I would uninstall and do a new install with a fresh download from the Slimjet website. Use the offline installer for this.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

If that doesn't work, you could try a screen shader to change the backround color to one you like. Here's one:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... loccojpppi

joerotello

Post by joerotello »

Thanking you both...your comments and ideas much appreciated.

All I want is to have my finely tuned SlimJet system left untouched as I have had it for a few years of SlimJets life and the many Updates since then. The background color all my SlimJet's life has been the "browser usual default" white...and it's annoying to suddenly see it a cream yellow that is nothing but somewhat annoying if not useless to many a user.

The main Windows OS background is not altered...all apps that run use that OS's white background say as in word processors, graphics apps, etc...and of course so should SlimJet or Firefox (aka FF) browsers, and yes, Firefox (the competitor so to speak) is remaining the "standard" white background and nothing has touched FF to change that.

That users have to suddenly invoke so many tests, observations and remedies is of course ridiculous to say the least...as it appears that a "default and usual" browser background setting could easily be entered into in the SlimJet easily-reachable user Settings department, that would make the "remedy" easy if not common-sense.

And no, it's not that I am a senior citizen engineer / technician / high technologist...which I happen to be...and therefore set in my ways, which at age 68 I likely am by now...it's just damnably annoying.

One final comment...

...is that this "sudden" background color change came in as a result of simply updating from the immediately previous SlimJet as has been done for a long time now...,whatever changed in the current 20 series really should be looked at again, perhaps something in the installer is now altered or the installer did something, etc.

Thank you gents again, and I am sure a few hours worth of my search and elbow-grease will rectify the situation.

Joe / Knoxville, TN

Unbravewintermute

Post by Unbravewintermute »

I think this is really more of a bug with the version of chromium that slimjet is currently using, because a version of google Chrome that used this version (or least a similar one) had the same problem. I have a solution to this that I posted on a similair discussion on this forum. It seems to only occur in Windows 7 for some reason.

link to solution/workaround:viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2114

joerotello

Post by joerotello »

Your "solve" was superb...

<< 1.Type slimjet://flags/ in the address bar.
2. Find Force color profile
3. Select sRGB (That's the one that worked for me. Some of the others might work as well.)
4. Select Reluanch Now at the Bottom

This worked for me, I hope it works for you. >>

Yes, it -- sRGB -- worked for me, and the SlimJet screen and pages "reset" back to the white color background my eyes and I are or were used to. I might dare myself to test what the other selections listed with sRGB might do...then again, I better not fool mother nature...;)...

Thank you again

Joe Rotello / Knoxville, TN

Unbravewintermute

You're welcome and I'm glad it worked.

Unbravewintermute

This is now fixed in the latest version of slimjet Version 21.0.2.0. It was probably the update to Chromium 70.0.3538.67 that fixed it.