How can I play mp3 in SJ?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Slim_is_phat

Re: How can I play mp3 in SJ?

Post by Slim_is_phat »

jeffhere wrote:what OS are you using?
I use win7. I can play mp3's directly in any browser I tried except SJ, so the OS should not be the problem.
dev wrote:Slimjet does not play mp3 without the use of a plugin/extension simple as. http://html5test.com/ look at audio. Its doesn't have the updated/ new formats / codecs etc. Its doesn't have a native media player with H.264 support ( Chrome can play MP3s via HTML5 audio only) which the other major browsers have hence they open a new tab and play the mp3's.
The test you linked is very informative. SJ and Chrome both get 508 of 555 points, and the points of every sub-topic are equal, too. But there's a no for SJ and a yes for Cr in supporting H.264, AAC and MP3. There is no case of no in CR and yes in SJ.

I don't know what this exactly means, but it explains why I can't play mp3 tracks in SJ the way I want to. But that's not too bad since SJ is still a baby, looking at its age, and I can use a different browser to enjoy sites with mp3 links. The HTML5test says that Opera also can't open mp3's, and opera is 20 years old. I'm sure SJ will be able to open mp3's before it is a teenager :D

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

Slim_is_phat wrote: I use win7. I can play mp3's directly in any browser I tried except SJ, so the OS should not be the problem.
I was thinking more on how to change default actions in xp vs W7....not that the issue is W7, since it works fine for me and I have W7 too. I think it has to do with the default action for the extension. Why not work for you, worked fine for me?

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

Slimjet doesn't come with built-in mp3 codec. Unfortunately, mp3 codec is still guarded by patent even if you might think it's decade-old technology. I have the Quicktime player installed on my system and it is able to play the mp3 links in Slimjet.

However, if the web page embeds a html5 audio tag, it won't work in Slimjet.

When we get a little bit more free time, we can reuse the codecs included with Windows 7 or later to decode mp3, h.264, AAC, etc.
Slim_is_phat wrote:Is there a chance to play mp3 files in Slimjet? When I click on an mp3 link I can only download it, so it's more comfortable to open the page in another Browser. I couldn't find a plugin that seems to play mp3.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

dev

Post by dev »

When we get a little bit more free time, we can reuse the codecs included with Windows 7 or later to decode mp3, h.264, AAC, etc.
To me and quite a lot of forums posts about mp3,h.264, youtube html, etc this should be high on your to do list. It make slimjet more compatible thus stops users from switching browsers just to watch a video or listen to small audio file. I know and understand its the cost with a patent but if you can do it somehow free or cheaper that would a great addition to slimjet.
Also is webgl supported or going to be ? http://sci.esa.int/where_is_rosetta/ (apart from slimjet it works in every other browser including outdated coolnovo )

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

The link you provided about webgl does work just fine in my slimjet?
dev wrote:

To me and quite a lot of forums posts about mp3,h.264, youtube html, etc this should be high on your to do list. It make slimjet more compatible thus stops users from switching browsers just to watch a video or listen to small audio file. I know and understand its the cost with a patent but if you can do it somehow free or cheaper that would a great addition to slimjet.
Also is webgl supported or going to be ? http://sci.esa.int/where_is_rosetta/ (apart from slimjet it works in every other browser including outdated coolnovo )
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

dev

Post by dev »

flashpeak wrote:The link you provided about webgl does work just fine in my slimjet?
dev wrote:

That's why i put "supported or going to be". So the question is what settings is stopping mine but not yours. Its doesn't work in mine in incognito so its not a extension. Its not my graphics card as it wouldn't work in other browsers. Time for some testing my end :)