How can I play mp3 in SJ?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Slim_is_phat

How can I play mp3 in SJ?

Post by Slim_is_phat »

Is there a chance to play mp3 files in Slimjet? When I click on an mp3 link I can only download it, so it's more comfortable to open the page in another Browser. I couldn't find a plugin that seems to play mp3.

dev

Re: How can I play mp3 in SJ?

Post by dev »

A link to the mp3's would be helpful. Try the wmp plugin see if that works http://www.interoperabilitybridges.com/ ... for-chrome and it does work in slimjet just drag and drop method to install. They don't play because slimjet doesn't support HTML5

Slim_is_phat

Post by Slim_is_phat »

Installation of this plugin was no problem, but I still can't open mp3 files. Here's a link, just as an example. Lots of mp3's, that's no fun in Slimjet. http://www.guitarpcb.com/audiodemos.htm

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

Works fine for me so don't blame Slimjet (tried on any other browsers?) !!!

I think your issue is the extension....set to download instead of playing...at some point in some browser, there may have been a prompt asking to dl or open and you fl'ed it??

Odd, when I googled, it wa the opposite...all are asking "how can I download instead of play an mp3?"

If you right click on the play icon, do you get "save as" or "open"? I ask, as my system plays it and I can right click to "save as" (download)...your system seems backwards!
Image 730 x 209 (32 bit).gif

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

This should do it if your mp3's are being downloaded...

After downloading, select the drop down and select "always open files of this type".

My slimjet uses the info bar at the bottom as I changed the newer balloon to the orig notify bar in the flags...
JSPic0001.gif

dev

Post by dev »

Slim_is_phat wrote:Installation of this plugin was no problem, but I still can't open mp3 files. Here's a link, just as an example. Lots of mp3's, that's no fun in Slimjet. http://www.guitarpcb.com/audiodemos.htm
The embedded links play fine in my slimjet but the non embedded give me the download link as you say. Till and if slimjet provide html5 support this will be the case. There use to be a inline mp3 player script that solved this but chrome have stopped this.

TheGrumbler

Post by TheGrumbler »

When using "Always open files of this type" the files are still saved in the regular download folder instead of a temporary folder.

Is this a feature or a bug?

TheGrumbler

Slim_is_phat

Post by Slim_is_phat »

When I click an mp3 link in IE or Slimbrowser, a new tab opens (but it stays just white), then the Windows Media Player appears and the mp3 track starts to sound before the download is completed. When I click an mp3 link in Chrome, a new tab opens with player buttons...
Image ...and the mp3 track also starts to sound while still downloading.
jeffhere wrote:After downloading, select the drop down and select "always open files of this type".
This works so far - thanks, jeffhere - but I have to wait until the download of the mp3 file is completed. Not until then the media player does its job. I want the track to start sounding in a split of a second, just after buffering. Maybe I'm wrong, but is streaming the right term for "playing while still downloading"? Is there any chance to make SJ "stream" mp3 tracks?
TheGrumbler wrote:When using "Always open files of this type" the files are still saved in the regular download folder instead of a temporary folder.
This is another problem - you want to listen a track just once, but you have to save it in a folder which later has to be cleaned manually to remove data junk.

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

what OS are you using? I am guessing maybe XP? If so, then you need to fix the default association for MPS to "open" or maybe the wording is "play" instead of "save" from the OS, as I recall (haven't used XP for a while).

In other words, it's happening to you in multiple browsers so the issue is with the OS, not the browsers....imo...

dev

Post by dev »

Slimjet does not play mp3 without the use of a plugin/extension simple as. http://html5test.com/ look at audio. Its doesn't have the updated/ new formats / codecs etc. Its doesn't have a native media player with H.264 support ( Chrome can play MP3s via HTML5 audio only) which the other major browsers have hence they open a new tab and play the mp3's.