UPdater Failed

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
boran2uagain

UPdater Failed

Post by boran2uagain »

The updater failed, with the message: Slimjet Updater, Failed to copy new version files!
Using Windows 10. I downloaded all the variations, Web installer, Offline installer and portable version. At least the portable version loaded, but it doesn't have any of the previous settings, bookmarks, skins, etc. Can I get my bookmarks into the portable version? I rebooted, same message.
Last edited by oftentired on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed erroneous Subject description words

oftentired

Re: Slimjet gone :-( UPdater Failed

Post by oftentired »

It sounds like your permissions are not the same as they were at the time of your last install. If you or someone else has fiddled with the user account settings to make the computer more secure, log onto a an administrator account, go to the Slimjet Download Page, and see if you can install the Offline Installer appropriate for your system.

If it is not an issue with permissions. Perhaps your user profile has been corrupted? But, it really sounds like a permissions issue.

And at this point, this issue is not shown to be a bug with Slimjet. Far more likely an issue on your local computer. I'm putting this topic in the General forum.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

CrockPot

Post by CrockPot »

Just FYI.Yesterday after trying to update to 19.0.3(the latest as of 06/15/2018) updater went crazy.30% CPU and lots of writing on the disk(observed from task manger),attempting to open the browser in the same time resolved in bunch of errors.After waiting 5 min. i killed the process(updater x64) and downloaded the latest version from the main page instead.There is something really wrong with the latest release,never till now had to deal with such a issues. Slimjet 18.X.X was perfectly stable and DEV needs to start troubleshooting this new release otherwise i definitely will consider other alternatives and probably won't be just me.

Caluroso

Post by Caluroso »

CrockPot wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:20 pm
Just FYI.Yesterday after trying to update to 19.0.3(the latest as of 06/15/2018) updater went crazy.30% CPU and lots of writing on the disk(observed from task manger),attempting to open the browser in the same time resolved in bunch of errors.After waiting 5 min. i killed the process(updater x64) and downloaded the latest version from the main page instead.There is something really wrong with the latest release,never till now had to deal with such a issues. Slimjet 18.X.X was perfectly stable and DEV needs to start troubleshooting this new release otherwise i definitely will consider other alternatives and probably won't be just me.
I had the same issue as well, definitely something wonky with this update.

temp_account

Post by temp_account »

CrockPot wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:20 pm
Yesterday after trying to update to 19.0.3(the latest as of 06/15/2018) updater went crazy.30% CPU and lots of writing on the disk(observed from task manger),attempting to open the browser in the same time resolved in bunch of errors.After waiting 5 min. i killed the process(updater x64) and downloaded the latest version from the main page instead.
The same here. I killed the update process after 15 minutes and completely uninstalled Slimjet first.
Windows 7 x64, latest Slimjet x64, "strict site isolation" flag is enabled

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Just to be clear, the title of this conversation is inaccurate and gives the wrong idea. Also, many (but not all) posts in this conversation are describing or appearing to agree that the issue is Slimjet.

The problem is with the updater which is a separate program from Slimjet. Slimjet just rides along for the install by the updater program. From all that I've seen written here and experienced as well for my own 19.0.3 update, the problem is not with Slimjet itself.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11