uBlock Origin

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Finston Pickle

uBlock Origin

Post by Finston Pickle »

Slimjet on Zorin 12 (Ubuntu 16.04), while browsing, randomly tries to open a new tab to www.tradeadexchange.com, which in turn is blocked from opening by uBlock Origin - which opens an explanatory tab immediately and in full page instead of what I am looking at- something like:

"uBlock Origin has prevented the following page from loading:http://www.tradeadexchange.com/a/display.php?r=310486 Because of the following filter ||tradeadexchange.com^"

but formatted differently. Blow me it has done it again whilst I was typing this!

Whilst this is admirable (uBlock kicking in) it is still an interruption and the tab needs repeatedly closing.

Does anyone have any idea how to track and eliminate the offending script, or whatever it is, without losing my settings?

oftentired

Re: uBlock Origin

Post by oftentired »

uBlock is doing the job it is intended to do. I would be more concerned with the random opening of a webpage and taking steps to eliminate that.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Finston Pickle

Post by Finston Pickle »

I am concerned with the random opening of a webpage - that is why I was asking for ideas about a solution.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Finston Pickle wrote:I am concerned with the random opening of a webpage - that is why I was asking for ideas about a solution.
Most likely in Settings, under Tab Options, you have the setting checked to Open all pop up windows in a new tab
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Buzzed Lightyear

Post by Buzzed Lightyear »

oftentired wrote:
Finston Pickle wrote:I am concerned with the random opening of a webpage - that is why I was asking for ideas about a solution.
Most likely in Settings, under Tab Options, you have the setting checked to Open all pop up windows in a new tab
Actually, he has adware installed on his computer. All I did was typed "tradeadexchange" into Google and literally every single result on the first page was how it's linked to adware.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Buzzed Lightyear wrote:
oftentired wrote:
Actually, he has adware installed on his computer. All I did was typed "tradeadexchange" into Google and literally every single result on the first page was how it's linked to adware.
Yeah that too Buzz, but he said that isn't what he is asking about. So, apparently the reason behind those popups are not important to him. If he doesn't wants all those popups to open in a new tab, then he can go look in the settings and see if unchecking that will be what he wants. After doing that they should popup as a regular popup unless they are deliberately initiated as a new tab or new window by whatever is causing them.

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Finston Pickle

Post by Finston Pickle »

I had not selected pop ups in settings and ad blocker and uBlockOrigin is on.

I am using DuckDuckGo as my search engine.

So:

A. If I have some adware in my machine, I would like to delete it. So I guess I am appealing to any forum members familiar with Ubuntu 16.04 which Zorin 12 (which I use) is based on.

B. From the browsing history of Slimjet on my machine it appears as though the full page of uBlockOrigin blocking particulars (that I see as a tab) is somehow at the DuckDuckGo website. I would like to stop this happening and I am appealing to any forum members familiar with Chromium (which Slimjet is based on of course) who are also familiar with the quirks of uBlockOrigin and DuckDuckGo for any thought on a solution. As far a I am aware uBlockOrigim just keeps a tally of sites blocked in the dropdown and never breaks in with detailed information in a tab which is immediately in focus, whatever app I am using.

Buzzed Lightyear

Post by Buzzed Lightyear »

Finston Pickle wrote:I had not selected pop ups in settings and ad blocker and uBlockOrigin is on.

I am using DuckDuckGo as my search engine.

So:

A. If I have some adware in my machine, I would like to delete it. So I guess I am appealing to any forum members familiar with Ubuntu 16.04 which Zorin 12 (which I use) is based on.
Ouch! Quality anti-virus software for Linux is hard to come by due to its 3% market share. However, I am familiar with several options that might help you.

1. Clam-AV (https://www.clamav.net/)

Probably one of the most well known free anti-virus solutions, Clam AV is 100% free and open source. If you don't trust it, you can download and view the entire source code at any time! One problem Clam AV had that scared away most users was that it was entirely Command Line driven. However, due to its open source nature, many GUIs have been developed for it. Probably the most used (at least for Linux) is ClamTK. You can download and install ClamTK from GitHub: https://github.com/dave-theunsub/clamtk

2. Sophos Antivirus (https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools.aspx)

While Sophos is nowhere near the "Top 10" best antivirus companies out there, they do offer a free version that runs on Linux. Hopefully, it will help you remove the adware you have.

3. Comodo Antivirus (https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-se ... -linux.php)

Like Sophos, Comodo has fallen a long ways down since it was considered a "good" antivirus vendor back in 2006. However (like Sophos), they are one of the few vendors that still offer a free Linux version. So if Sophos doesn't solve your problem, you can try Comodo.

In conclusion, most good anti-virus vendors (such as Bitdefender) only offer Linux protection in their Enterprise protection packages, and these cost thousands of dollars. My advice is to stay away from shady websites, and always be careful of what you download.

Finston Pickle

Post by Finston Pickle »

I found that activating ad blocker, ublockOrigin and Ghostery simultaneously had no effect

Fortunately, the most promising line of attack seems to be covered in this posting:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/602499/ ... rom-chrome

I am using the Slimjet browser based on Chromium and in turn related to Chrome - so a promising avenue to look at, I thought.

The last time uBlockOrigin stopped the action I noted the URL, it was:

chrome-extension://cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm/document-blocked.html?details=eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vd3d3LnRyYWRlYWRleGNoYW5nZS5jb20vYS9kaXNwbGF5LnBocD9yPTMxMDQ4NiIsImhuIjoid3d3LnRyYWRlYWRleGNoYW5nZS5jb20iLCJkbiI6InRyYWRlYWRleGNoYW5nZS5jb20iLCJmYyI6IlswLDYyLFwidHJhZGVhZGV4Y2hhbmdlLmNvbVwiXSIsImZzIjoifHx0cmFkZWFkZXhjaGFuZ2UuY29tXiJ9

Looking in home/.config/slimjet/default/extensions I find cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm - just what had to be removed in the posting above.

I think that I am getting very close here - I am going to look whether the same file is in the extensions folder of Chromium and Chrome - then I will know what to delete.

Strangely enough, when I looked in Slimjet history, I found:
Screenshot from 2017-08-30 19-45-39.jpg
What can be the newpage club? - it does not appear each time Chrome extension cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm appears, but often enough to be implicated.

I would like to find out more about “newpage club” and whether it needs removal before removing cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm – any ideas, anyone?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

32 Bit SJ on Win 11