"Exit" requires tab-closing-OK for each opened window

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
scott092707

"Exit" requires tab-closing-OK for each opened window

Post by scott092707 »

"Exit", for every browser I have used before, just exits.
Since I always change a browser's preferences to "Continue where you left off", it hardly matters that I am closing all the tabs for a window - indeed for all windows;
and since I also "Don't load background tabs when restoring tabs in last session", it takes a minimum of memory and time to do so.

But with Flashpeak-Slimjet, I must go to each window in turn, and confirm that I want to close all xx tabs in that window.

I did not realize that at first.
F-S apparently begins with the leftmost window when it is confirming tab-closure, and I was not viewing a tab on the left-most window. I thought that nothing happened when I selected Exit from the menu. I eventually discovered when I visited the first window, that it had a tab-closure confirmation window displayed. When I clicked OK on that, it then displayed a tab-closure confirmation window on the window that then became the left-most window. I didn't know that, at first, either - it bounced me back to the window from which I had selected "Exit".

I THINK, but am not certain, that if I am not on the right-most window when I select "Exit", that after the window disappears from which I had selected "Exit", I must again select "Exit" to get it to continue closing windows.

Occasionally, I get the "F-S did not shut down properly - restore tabs?" message when I next start up the program, but not as often as when I first migrated my windows/tabs over
with TabCloud. For a time afterwards, it also definitely did NOT shut down properly, as I had to kill S-J processes manually in the terminal with HTOP.

[If someone would like visual confirmation that this is happening for me, I will install RecordMyDesktop (or some such package) and record my shutting-down of F-S.
Just let me know. (Is there an upper limit on file upload sizes? )]
--------------------------------------------------------
scott@scott-ASUS-M2N68-AMPLUS:~$ uname -a
Linux scott-ASUS-M2N68-AMPLUS 4.10.0-30-generic #34-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jul 31 19:38:17 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
scott@scott-ASUS-M2N68-AMPLUS:~$ lsb_release -dsc
Ubuntu 17.04
zesty
scott@scott-ASUS-M2N68-AMPLUS:~$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
Lubuntu
scott@scott-ASUS-M2N68-AMPLUS:~$ flashpeak-slimjet --version
FlashPeak Slimjet 59.0.3071.86
scott@scott-ASUS-M2N68-AMPLUS:~$ apt-cache policy slimjet
slimjet:
Installed: 15.0.2.0
Candidate: 15.0.2.0
Version table:
*** 15.0.2.0 100
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

scott092707

Re: "Exit" requires tab-closing-OK for each opened window

Post by scott092707 »

I don't know if this will work...

I tried to upload a recording of SlimJet shutting down (SimpleScreenRecorder), and after the message showing the percentage of upload complete approached/reached 100%,
the text I had written in the reply-posting box disappeared, and there was no sign anywhere of the file.

The file was 10.8MB, and I saw nothing to indicate that there was a maximum upload file size, or that said maximum had been exceeded.

I am going to save this text reply, and then try to upload the file again...

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

It won't work, you can put it up on youtube and link it.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

scott092707

Post by scott092707 »

Here is a link to the video recording I made showing SlimJet shutting down:

https://youtu.be/NhOCT1X8o-U

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

the video was helpful, thank you

I cannot duplicate this.

I opened multiple instances of Slimjet and for each instance I opened enough tabs to bring the hamburger tab menu up, 20 to 30 tabs in most cases

I waited until all were stable

Just as your video, I brought the last opened instance forward and used the Gear Icon > Exit method to Exit (normally I click the X)

this is where my attempts to duplicate the problem failed

without any prompt window every tab in all the open Slimjet instances closed and all of them closed one after the other without any additional action on my part, so to reiterate, when I clicked Exit, every single open instance of Slimjet closed one after the other.

Something is niggling at the back of my mind, but I can't remember what it is. At this point I can't find a Setting that would change this behaviour to duplicate your problem.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

scott092707

Post by scott092707 »

The source of the windows (all but the first one, which SlimJet opened when it first started up, and which I used to get some experience using SlimJet, prior to deciding to switch to it) was TabCloud, a plugin which, when installed in Firefox, and also installed in SlimJet ("Chromium"), allows one to transfer all browser windows between two different browsers.

I did not bring in all windows at once, as TabCloud seems to load up each and every tab it creates for each window it imports. As efficient and quick as SlimJet is, even two full windows bogs down the system something awful.. (I was more than once forced to use htop to kill SlimJet processes until it finally went away).

I speculate that the windows that it brings in may have been created somehow as if, for each window, SlimJet itself was separately invoked.

SlimJet brings up all of them with one invoked "flashpeak-slimjet" from the terminal.
It is obviously able to communicate with each one, or it would require selecting Menu->Exit from each one, whereas I only need to do that once (even if I do need to confirm each one afterwards).
I note that, apparently, it is not sending the close window signal to each window simultaneously, but in order Left to Right, only doing the next when the previous situation is resolved.

I was speculating whether it would be possible to save all tabs of a window to a bookmark folder, and ultimately, close the window, and later take the one window that remained, Menu->NewWindow, open all bookmarks of that bookmark folder to the new window, and so forth for each window.
I assume that I would probably have the same problem I had initially, that each tab would be loaded (unless the load-all-bookmarks-to-tabs command had a load-only-the-first-bookmark option), and things would bog down badly; shutting down for each window handled would be essential, but even then I might have to use the bazooka (htop ==> kill processes) again. I think I even once had to use the hang-on-the-power-button-for-5-seconds ploy...

Not knowing exactly how TabCloud brings in the windows, I wonder if it could have used (but didn't) the equivalent of SlimJet's Do Not Load Background Tabs When Restoring Tabs In Last Session. If so, I ought to file a bug report for TabCloud. I might do so anyway, as it seems unlikely that someone exporting multiple windows could possibly want ALL tabs loaded for ALL windows.

If you have any ideas how to fix this, I would be grateful to hear them...

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

try other methods of closing

with the Tab Option Setting, Close browser window when last tab is closed, CHECKED

right click any open tab and select/click, Close all tabs

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

scott092707

Post by scott092707 »

>try other methods of closing

How exactly does SlimJet know the difference between "close all these tabs and the window - I never want to see them ever again" and
"close all these tabs and the window - but I want them to come back when SlimJet next starts up"

I just counted my tabs - amongst all 10 windows (currently), I seem to have 413 tabs....
I REALLY don't want to use this new method of removing tabs/windows, only to find I have NO tabs when SlimJet next starts up...

I need to confirm closing the tabs for the windows I have, but that is AFTER selecting Exit from the menu (usually at least twice, for some reason...).
I assume that there is some boolean variable somewhere SlimJetIsClosing=TRUE, that SlimJet uses when shutting down, that allows the windows/tabs to come back
the next time it starts up.
But with this other method, I have not selected Exit, so...

rejdi_dev

Post by rejdi_dev »

Hi,

I have same problem. It bothers a lot!

Steps to reproduce:
  1. open al least two slimjet windows
  2. in each window, open at least two tabs
  3. set Confirm when closing browser window with multiple tabs to true
  4. go to menu -> hit exit (or ctrl+shift+q)
What happen:
before browser completely exit, it asks for window close confirmation for each opened window

What should happen:
setting from step 3 should be ignored and browser should immediately exit without asking if you really want to close any window.