Restore Pages ?

Slimjet bug reports
RBTB2605

Restore Pages ?

Post by RBTB2605 »

Playing with Slimjet again.. latest version. Why is it that after a new boot of my computer that every time I open up Slimjet I see a box in the upper right in the browser that asks me if i wish to restore pages ?

RBTB2605

Re: Restore Pages ?

Post by RBTB2605 »

I may have discovered something here. I set my startup page to about:blank and rebooted the computer and did not see the Restore Page box.

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

Nope. The browser still refuses to remember what I have set for a start page when you first open it up from a cold boot of my system. It is insisting to show me the default start page with no address listed in the address field and the Google name and search box and thumbnails of recent pages I visited as well as the Restore Pages box. For sure this is a bug.

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

I guess that I will keep replying to myself, but I think that what may be going on is that it takes Slimjet a while to shut down after I X out the window and close the browser. I observe multiple slimjet.exe's running in the task manager and it takes a while for them to shut down and disappear. So my theory is that maybe if I am shutting down my computer too quick and not allowing all Slimjet processes to end first, then it may be the cause of it asking me if I wish to restore pages after a cold boot the way it has been. I am going to try to put this theory to the test and see the results of waiting for Slimjet processes to shut down first vs. not waiting before I shut off the computer.

OK...I have discovered that my theory may be correct. With the task manager open, I already observed Slimjet's reluctance to shut down all processes. And then after repeating this test, I observed processes shutting down slowly. So Slimjet thinks that it did not shut down properly or maybe that it crashed ? And then I get the restore pages message. If there are no Slimjet processes running and i start the browser up, all is well. I can do this without shutting down the computer and just observe activity in the task manager. Interesting. Is it a bug ?

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

I am pretty well convinced that due to Slimjet taking quite a bit of time to shut down that if the computer is shut down before Slimjet is totally off, then I see the Restore Pages message upon rebooting. I am not sure if Slimjet's slow shutdown is normal or not. When I was running it before as my default browser, I did not have this issue.

lgilbert99

Post by lgilbert99 »

I realize it is more than 2 years since you posted, but I am presently experiencing the same. From all of my searching you are the only one with an explanation as to what is happening. I am getting the crashed and restore option every time I open Slimjet, rebooting or not. Did you ever find a solution as to why Slimjet was so slow in closing which caused the crashed error messages?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

When you get to say the last 15 minutes of your browsing shut Slimjet down completely. Then run a new "incognito" instance long enough that you can be fairly certain the normal instance is shut down. This will have the affect of not running any extensions. Then if you still experience the issue you can eliminate an extension as being the reason behind the problem.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

KenStratton

Post by KenStratton »

I've had this issue for the last month or so and found the culprit today... The Kaspersky Antivirus extension was causing it. Even though all Slimjet processes closed (in the task manager) when I exited the application, it would still report that it crashed previously when I open the browser. I disabled the Kaspersky extension and the issue went away.