How do I upgrade from 10 to 11?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
dev

Re: How do I upgrade from 10 to 11?

Post by dev »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=115 will help you keep your data
donaldduck wrote:That's a good idea, Often, but won't I lose everything I've saved on Slimjet if I delete it all, like formatting and passwords?

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

Oh,...my head hurts from trying to wade through all of this.

dev, I have a question. Why does the developers recommend running the 32bit version over the 64bit ? I mean, the 64bit version does run fine here for me. Would I expect to see any performance improvements if I did go to the 32bit version ? I am running an i3 processor and 8 GB ram in my tower.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

The 64 bit version uses more RAM while running. The improvement in browser performance over the 32 bit is not perceivable by the human eye. Because of this the developer recommends the 32. If you have more RAM than you ever use it doesn't matter which of them you choose.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

donaldduck wrote:That's a good idea, Often, but won't I lose everything I've saved on Slimjet if I delete it all, like formatting and passwords?
During the uninstall process don't select the choice to delete the user data. Just uninstall the program(s).
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

dev

Post by dev »

http://www.howtogeek.com/241501/you-sho ... nd-speedy/ I would imagine this would now apply to slimjet Oftentired ? i know early on flashpeak spoke about there wasn't much gain from 64bit but google has improved it over time and seeing slimjet is pretty much in line with updates surely slimjet would be in the same mold

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

dev wrote:http://www.howtogeek.com/241501/you-sho ... nd-speedy/ I would imagine this would now apply to slimjet Oftentired ? i know early on flashpeak spoke about there wasn't much gain from 64bit but google has improved it over time and seeing slimjet is pretty much in line with updates surely slimjet would be in the same mold
Good to know. I'm going to point at this from a FAQ. Thanks.

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

donaldduck wrote:...

But hey there was some progress this time! I now have v. 10.0.8.0 instead of 10.0.1.0

Argh it's back to being

Version 10.0.1.0 (based on Chromium 50.0.2661.75 (64-bit))

I think I'll just let well enough alone and leave it the way it is for now. It actually works and remembers my passwords and doesn't crash and has a bookmark sidebar which is more than I can say for all the other junk out there.

Why is it that browsers and email were better fifteen years ago? Another thing that was better fifteen years ago: If you wanted to search for a person you'd come up with all sorts of info, but now you mainly get all these scam websites wanting your credit card number. Oh yeah, less privacy. They are all fishing for your cell phone number. They want to know who you are. They want to sell you stuff. They want to put you in the big NSA supercomputer. OK, enough ranting...sorry...

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

oftentired wrote:
dev wrote:http://www.howtogeek.com/241501/you-sho ... nd-speedy/ I would imagine this would now apply to slimjet Oftentired ? i know early on flashpeak spoke about there wasn't much gain from 64bit but google has improved it over time and seeing slimjet is pretty much in line with updates surely slimjet would be in the same mold
Good to know. I'm going to point at this from a FAQ. Thanks.
Very cool. I have been running the 64bit here for quite some time with no issues. Slimjet continues to rock. Very, very pleased with this browser. :D :D :D

Re upgrading: All i do is as i noted above. When I get the notice that a new version is available, I then just go and download the complete installation file and simply install it right over the top of what I am running. I am sure that the internal update mechanism works as advertised, but I am set in my ways of doing things and installing from the full file always works well for me. :D

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

This time I went to slimjet.com and installed the v.11 64 bit - and then Slimjet wouldn't open at all! I even tried rebooting but it still wouldn't open. So I deleted the 64 bit and now I'm back to 10.0.08 (?) again and it's working again. I do have a 64 bit operating system, Win 7.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

Well I finally got 11. I deleted first the new 64 bit that had rendered SJ unusable and then I totally deleted the 32 bit too, and then I downloaded SJ again from slimjet.com. Now I have the hassle of reformatting everything including all the passwords. Luckily SJ is set up pretty good to begin with, with the bookmark sidebar, and I have all my bookmarks saved...but my bookmark top bar is infested with all my 4,000 plus bookmarks which I want on my sidebar not my topbar. I only want my most used bm's on the top bar. I don't know how I did it before. I can't find a way to delete my bm's from the top bar but not the side bar - or put new ones up there without them also appearing at the top of my bookmarks sidebar. How did I do it before? And where's the History button? Slimjet's help page is no help.