Slimjet portable prompts UAC/Admin code?

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
slim.moe

Slimjet portable prompts UAC/Admin code?

Post by slim.moe »

When I clicked to update my portable Slimjet to the latest version today, a user account control box came up prompting me to enter the administrative password after I clicked to restart the browser at the end of the update download.
Just curious why that is, as I thought the whole program only existed in the user account is was downloaded into, and not in the OS system.

oftentired

Re: Slimjet portable prompts UAC/Admin code?

Post by oftentired »

I think the stand alone installation uses the same install program as the normal installation and it does not differentiate between the 2 during installation. The stand alone version is achieved by a setting within Slimjet that is not noticed by the installation program.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

slim.moe

Post by slim.moe »

oftentired wrote:I think the stand alone installation uses the same install program as the normal installation and it does not differentiate between the 2 during installation.
The portable version isn't installed and there's no installation process, it's just downloaded, extracted and run. My question about the UAC is when the program was updated to a newer version.
oftentired wrote:The stand alone version is achieved by a setting within Slimjet that is not noticed by the installation program.
What's the setting?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

slim.moe wrote:
oftentired wrote:I think the stand alone installation uses the same install program as the normal installation and it does not differentiate between the 2 during installation.
The portable version isn't installed and there's no installation process, it's just downloaded, extracted and run. My question about the UAC is when the program was updated to a newer version.
oftentired wrote:The stand alone version is achieved by a setting within Slimjet that is not noticed by the installation program.
What's the setting?
My bad. Been too long since I installed a stand alone. I have some vague memory of using the same installation for either.

And the setting is not user accessible in Slimjet. It was in another browser by the same developer.

So your question remains unanswered. Which takes me back to the first answer I started to type but reversed.

The UAC I think comes into play anytime a program new to your system runs that reaches out to the internet. The identity of the updated version does not match the previous permitted program so your system makes a new request.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

slim.moe

Post by slim.moe »

oftentired wrote:The UAC I think comes into play anytime a program new to your system runs that reaches out to the internet. The identity of the updated version does not match the previous permitted program so your system makes a new request.
What do you mean by "previous permitted program", previously permitted by who?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

slim.moe wrote:
oftentired wrote:The UAC I think comes into play anytime a program new to your system runs that reaches out to the internet. The identity of the updated version does not match the previous permitted program so your system makes a new request.
What do you mean by "previous permitted program", previously permitted by who?
I was assuming you had encountered this when you installed a previous version or for the first time.

I'm feeling really slow. Must be losing brain cells.

This was an update were the browser reached out and brought the update to the system and installed it. No matter that it was a stand alone install the action, of setting the system to restart the browser after the install is completed, requires an admin level access (probably to or through task scheduler) and that would trigger the UAC.

32 Bit SJ on Win 11