Why is Slimjet 3 months behind?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
slim.moe

Why is Slimjet 3 months behind?

Post by slim.moe »

Hi everyone,
The current version of Slimjet is 10.0.7.0 and it is based on Chromium 50.0.2661.75 which was released on April 14. The current stable Chromium version is 51.0.2704.103.

1) Is it safe to be using Chromium code that's three months old?
2) Is there a reason why Slimjet is so behind? I understand if it would be a few weeks to a month behind, but why so much?
3) Will it always be this way?

Thank you in advance.

dev

Re: Why is Slimjet 3 months behind?

Post by dev »

better if the developers answer this but going on the updates that have been and answering this question before

1. yes
2. simple reason is coding takes time and as slimjet try their best to have the browser backward compatible (still use in xp, old plugins still run) it takes longer for them the more google takeout to do this.
3. Most likely but it does vary in the amount of difference between updates and slimjet are as much in line probably ahead in fact with most other chromium based browsers with version history

cwm4bama

Post by cwm4bama »

I would hope that every time Adobe releases a new Flash update that Slimjet would release an update to include the new Flash module..

Since Adobe recognizes Slimjet as a "Chrome" browser it will not update Slimjet from it's download site...

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

I think that it is time to not make Slimjet backwards compatible with XP and i think that the 11.0 release will no longer be.

You can get the latest version of pepperflash on this page. Look for it in the lower right in the box under this:

Slimjet 32 and 64bit Downloads - Full offline installers.

http://www.beast-usa.com/downloads/brow ... wsers.html

dev

Post by dev »

RBTB2605 wrote:I think that it is time to not make Slimjet backwards compatible with XP and i think that the 11.0 release will no longer be.
I agree tho i think it would be better to have 2 versions , a legacy one which is useable for older puters and vista/xp etc and a up to date one in line with chrome, most other chromium based ones have moved in line with dropping xp support as the extra coding isn't worth it

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

dev wrote:
RBTB2605 wrote:I think that it is time to not make Slimjet backwards compatible with XP and i think that the 11.0 release will no longer be.
I agree tho i think it would be better to have 2 versions , a legacy one which is useable for older puters and vista/xp etc and a up to date one in line with chrome, most other chromium based ones have moved in line with dropping xp support as the extra coding isn't worth it
Yes, but just how much time and resources does the Slimjet team have to maintain two versions ? This has become my main browser. I am very happy with it. The only thing that I wish for is a bit more ability to customize the bookmarks options. Otherwise it is fast and rarely seems to have any issues that cause me any trouble.
Last edited by oftentired on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed broken quote

palikacska

Post by palikacska »

Please keep up the support for XP. Slimjet is the only secure and up-to-date choice for XP users.

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

Slimjet 11.0 Beta is out this afternoon. Smooth, clean install of the 64bit version here. Full speed ahead !

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

It is just one major version behind. We just brought it up to speed today on Slimjet 11. If we try to follow every little version update too closely, we wouldn't have any extra time to add unique features which make slimjet different from Chrome.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

slim.moe

Post by slim.moe »

dev wrote:I agree tho i think it would be better to have 2 versions , a legacy one which is useable for older puters and vista/xp etc
Please do not lump XP and Vista together, as the former isn't updated and supported by Microsoft while the latter still is till April 2017.

Also please keep in mind that some users started using Slimjet because it's one of the only browsers left that supports XP/Vista. Take away that support and they might as well go back to the browser they were using before.
This poster above is an example of this:
palikacska wrote:Please keep up the support for XP. Slimjet is the only secure and up-to-date choice for XP users.