ad blocker goes hyperbolic at Breitbart.com

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
paul1149

ad blocker goes hyperbolic at Breitbart.com

Post by paul1149 »

I've been noticing for a while that the ad blocker keeps incrementing blocked ads upwards when viewing anything at http://www.breitbart.com. If the page is open for a few minutes, I'll have 700+ elements blocked, and it keeps going. With a few pages doing this, the browser gets very sluggish.

The ad blocker I use in Vivaldi goes pretty high, but nowhere near this. And Firefox with Ublock-origin does nothing like this at all.
Last edited by paul1149 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dev

Re: ad blocker goes hyperbolic at Breitbart.com

Post by dev »

all i get is "this site is not currently unavailable" all else i would have tried to help , all i can say i don't use the inbuilt adblocker just ublock soz mate

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Sorry, I misspelled the link. I think it's right now.

Probably a coding problem at the site, which the inbuilt catches on. Will work around it for now.

BW,
p.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

See attachment. This is from this morning. Pretty typical, and the numbers were increasing rapidly even after the screen shot.

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

Nothing personal and I give the Slimjet developers credit, but I choose to not use the built in ad blocker in Slimjet. Instead I use the Adblock Plus extension and make sure that I have the "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" box unchecked in it. It all works so very well for me that I have no reason to use any other ad blocking mechanism.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

I'm very pleased with the in-built. It's easy to use and catches most garbage - with the large exception of popovers. I'm sure the compiled code is much more efficient than a script, as well. I probably wouldn't be tempted to switch unless the popovers were a factor.

dev

Post by dev »

yeah i get 500 plus and keeps going up with ublock in slimjet on the site after a few moments , dodgy site as in adverts ublock is showing on mine at least 42 and increases steady domains trying to connect which when i block some of them like plushingamer something in russian the count of blocks slows down

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Thanks for testing. Correction on firefox/ublock-origin: it's just as bad as SJ/inbuilt. I guess this is a site problem.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

This seems to be largely resolved. Had to be a server-side problem. Thanks.