【Feature Removal】Share on Facebook

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.

【Feature Removal】Share on Facebook

Post by 775405984 »

it's really useless for me.

I live in China, a country that Facebook is under censorship.

so can you guys make it possible to turn off this context menu.

while you at it, remove scan link as well.

beast-usa

Re: 【Feature Removal】Share on Facebook

Post by beast-usa »

I 2nd that I live in the US and have zero use for anything FaceBook on my browser.
I try to keep it blocked at the router but with it's 10,000,000 spyware IP's it's almost impossible. :(

You can "Customize Toolbar" on the backwards toolbar and hide it.
ThermalTake GT10, Asus Rampage V Exteme, i7-6950X (Raystorm water block), 32gigs DDR4-3000 Crucial Ballistix Tactical, EVGA GTX 1080 SC, OS HD's - 2 X 128gig Crucial M550's SSD's in Raid 0, Corsair SINGLE RAIL 1050 watt

Knowthought

Post by Knowthought »

I don't know if its the same thing you guys are talking about. But when I visit Facebook, Amazon, or Ebay. I get rather annoyed at the toolbar icon that Slimjet adds upon first visit to those sites. I mean really, its the exact same thing as a bookmark and a waste space if you ask me.

LimboSlam

Post by LimboSlam »

Well I have use for it, but it's really unorganized. It should be under a button called "Share" and more options added, like Twitter, Google Plus, Email and more.

LimboSlam

Post by LimboSlam »

Knowthought wrote:I don't know if its the same thing you guys are talking about. But when I visit Facebook, Amazon, or Ebay. I get rather annoyed at the toolbar icon that Slimjet adds upon first visit to those sites. I mean really, its the exact same thing as a bookmark and a waste space if you ask me.
Yes me two, though I only use Facebook, maybe a "Share" button to combine all these three in possible. I would also like more social media site added, Twitter, Google Plus and Email to name.

hyperion

Post by hyperion »

775405984 wrote:
so can you guys make it possible to turn off this context menu.
+1 FB button is quite useless.
Francesco Cantalini
Sysadmin and IT Security Consultant

shmizan__

Post by shmizan__ »

hey slimjet team,
can we please have some attention regarding this matter?
a yes? a why not? something?

I never use it, and always afraid to accidentally click it when I use the right click context.
you have options in the settings for almost everything, I can't imagine it's too hard to make this optional?

please, some response...

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

OK three things going on here with this Topic.

1. The first visit toolbar icons (eBay and Amason) are a deliberate "feature" from the developers that are intended to be an unobtrusive and not repetitive method of generating income. In other words, if people actually do want to use those icons instead of making them go away they will generate a small amount of useful income for the developers who provide this excellent browser to you for FREE. This has nothing to do with the Original Posted Subject of this thread and further discussion of this is not necessary in this Topic. If you wish to discuss this you can do so in the existing FAQ which discusses it already.

2. There are 2 place I have found where the right click context menu brings the ability to interact with Facebook. The first is the TAB right click context menu which gives a selection to Share this webpage and then a long list of social media websites. This particular Feature is in line with (or agreement with) the Feature "Removal" request that was made in the Original Posted Subject of this thread and I believe it is not the intended target of the request.

3. The second place I have found a right click context menu regarding social media is in the right click context menu that results after you highlight text on a webpage and then right click. This brings a selection to Share on Facebook. This I believe is the specific Topic being discussed here.

If you do not have a Facebook account, OR if you are not currently (perpetually?) logged into a facebook account, OR if you have Facebook Platform Applications TURNED OFF in Facebook Settings, clicking (or accidentally clicking) the Share on Facebook should result in a dialog window that informs you that you need to take further steps in order to connect to facebook to share. So, another way to say this. If your active on Facebook and would actually make use of the feature then it could be useful to you accidentally or on purpose. If your not active on Facebook or if you take care to set your Facebook settings to preclude the Platform Apps capability this feature should not harm your system or sensibilities in any way.

So in direct response to the Original Posted Subject.

A. Your Request already exists in the right click TAB context menu as discussed in 2. above.

B. I do not think that the highlighted text right click context menu will be turned in to a "Share.... Social Media Selection" menu unless the other social media websites have the ability to interface the way Facebook does. Otherwise it would be pointless. If you want to interact with the other Social Media sites right click the TAB instead of selected text.

C. I do not believe that accidentally clicking the Share on Facebook will cause any issues for most users. There will always be a dialog in between the accidental click and further interaction with Facebook that will allow you to decline or cancel the action.

D. If a user likes to share a lot of webpages on Facebook the toolbar icon to Share on Facebook would be a very handy thing instead of the right click menu on the TAB.

So, finally, as a user, I don't think this request has merit unless the other Social Media sites are actually capable of interacting with the browser when highlighted text is involved.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

shmizan__

Post by shmizan__ »

thanks for your input, fellow user of SlimJet.

I, unfortunately, have a facebook account.
it only uses me for specific nonofyourbusinessstuff and I never post anything there.
I would really hate it if I accidentally posted something there.
I hate the fact that I might, as an accident, forget to turn off connected apps or whatever facebook calls it, clicki the slimjet facebook share option in the context menu, and have it all over my personal page on facebook.

the thing that strikes me the most is that this is actually a privacy "breach" for me, and when you go in to slimjet.com, the title says "Slimjet: Fastest web browser that blocks all ads and protects your privacy". it's a breach because of the key location of the option, between 2 other things I use very frequently and have nothing to do with facebook, googling, and translating. I would have actually had less of a complaint if it was on it's own category, surrounded by those separating lines.

sharing something in your facebook is as private as it can get. why making this an optional setting like the hundreds of other options SlimJet gives you is a problem?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

shmizan__ wrote:thanks for your input, fellow user of SlimJet.
My concern at this point is your use of Privacy as an argument to support your request. You are using an "emotionally charged" argument which has ZERO validity to support your position.

Most webpages will not contain your private personal data. Any data shared via the Share on Facebook feature that does not consist of your private personal data cannot, by definition, be a privacy issue. If your personal private data is located on a webpage that is not secure and it could actually be posted on Facebook in the manner your concerned about. Well, at that point my concern would not be Slimjet but would be answering the question, "why is it located on the internet on an unsecured website?"

I can understand the annoyance of having to avoid the Share on Facebook selection but your use of the "Privacy" argument is wrong and puts a wrongful slant on Slimjet privacy that I find unacceptable. Sharing, deliberately or even accidentally, a webpage or portion of a webpage on Social media is not a breach of privacy. The webpage or information from the webpage would rarely contain your personal private information. And even if, by some wild crazy one in a million chance, you highlighted your personal data on a secure connection webpage such as your bank, and then managed to Share it on Facebook accidentally it wouldn't work. The secure connection does not exist between Facebook and the secure website so the data cannot be transmitted. Your personal data would be located on a secure connection website which would not display properly on Facebook for anyone who is not logged into the secure account. (see the snapshot I uploaded).

And if by another one in a million chance your actual personal information was posted to your Facebook page it would be subject to the Facebook restrictions on sharing your information that you have in place on Facebook, that you have in place on Facebook not Slimjet. These Facebook privacy restrictions should reflect the level of concern that you have about your private information. If you have a strong concern about Facebook privacy and you have not reviewed your Facebook privacy settings recently it is advisable to either delete your Facebook account or take the time to set, on Facebook, any restrictions that you desire to have regarding your privacy on Facebook.
Last edited by oftentired on Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Specified who I was responding to
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11