“Automatically optimize memory usage”

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
dev

“Automatically optimize memory usage”

Post by dev »

Thought I would add this to the forum to see different configs that users may use for this setting.

windows 7 64bit. AMD X4 quad core 3.50GHz. 8gb ram. R7 260 graphic board.
Default 10mins slow start up and slower web page loading.
Disabled Fast as usual (as expected). Gained/Added 2% on physical memory from default setting.

Will test some more.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Re: “Automatically optimize memory usage”

Post by flashpeak »

That's interesting. I have Windows 7, i7-2600 quad core 3.4GHz with 16GB. I don't notice any slow down after turning on the memory optimization option.

As for the memory savings, it will be more obvious if you set it to 0 minutes. Otherwise, you might have to wait for the 10 minutes to pass to see the memory savings.

Do you feel the slow down is significant at 10 minutes? Will it be slower if you dial it down to 10 minutes?
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

dev

Re: “Automatically optimize memory usage”

Post by dev »

flashpeak wrote:That's interesting. I have Windows 7, i7-2600 quad core 3.4GHz with 16GB. I don't notice any slow down after turning on the memory optimization option.

As for the memory savings, it will be more obvious if you set it to 0 minutes. Otherwise, you might have to wait for the 10 minutes to pass to see the memory savings.

Do you feel the slow down is significant at 10 minutes? Will it be slower if you dial it down to 10 minutes?
So I've tested a bit more but before i get to that I'm going point out that I'm using the bbc news site to test the load times and I'm at a good steady 62mbs download Image

So set at 0 mins I've gained again 4% on memory which is better than pervious, startup and page load is quicker than set at 10 mins. As to the difference if its disabled its nominal but there is a slight noticeably delay, hard to explain but disabled the page loads straight away, at zero its almost a milli second pause just a blink of the eye but you can notice it.
Now at 10 mins yes the slow down is significant almost a good 4 seconds not a lot i know but it does stand out when i load a page and yes all tested over a time.

Would be good to see whats stats a older computer with little ram would get and also I wonder if your i7 chip makes a great difference because its got to be the best chip on the market nowadays, far better hyper threading than AMD's.