Any way to open .txt links directly in SJ?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
paul1149

Any way to open .txt links directly in SJ?

Post by paul1149 »

Is there any way to spec .txt links on the web to open in SJ rather than download? I would find this a lot more convenient, and the download option would always be there via right-click. Old Opera used to have a file types dialog for this purpose.

oftentired

Re: Any way to open .txt links directly in SJ?

Post by oftentired »

I'm pretty sure your using the turbo charged downloader which downloads textfiles. For text files you might try mashing the ALT key to bypass the turbo charged downloader which should result in a text file being opened in the browser.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Hi OT,
Not sure I understand. I don't have the turbo downloader enabled for all downloads. When I hold the Alt key and click on the .txt link, nothing happens. It's any of the .txt links on this page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjar ... pin-16.03/

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

OK

that particular website initiates the download process, you can bypass this after the initial download (don't use the built in turbo downloader) by clicking the arrow menu that appears to the right of the download name and left clicking to checkmark/select, "Always open files of this type". After you have done that once, future downloads of that file type will download the text document and then open it in your default text reader. It will still appear in the download folder location but, it will also open the text file.

If you decide to change this behaviour all you have to do open the settings page, type "download" in the search box, scroll down to the bottom and click the button, "Clear auto-opening settings".
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Ok, I appreciate the input. This is getting a bit complicated.
  1. I was using "your download box" extension, which hides the download shelf. I disabled it and now I see what you meant.
  2. Maybe the javascript at sourceforge was complicating the problem. When I now click on a .txt download there, it still downloads it, but then immediately opens it in a text editor, which is a pretty good solution.
  3. And when I click a regular .txt link elsewhere, it now opens it in SJ directly, which is what I want.
So I've reenabled my d/l extension, and I think I'm good on this now. Thanks!