Can't disable Google Custom search on brower

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Muchloved1

Can't disable Google Custom search on brower

Post by Muchloved1 »

Hi there

Please help me remove Google Custom search (CSE) on my browser. My OS is Linux MInt 17. I had this problem before when I was on Chrome, and the guys at Linux Mint forums helped me to get rid of it. I tried to follow the steps they gave me, but it's not working out the same. I've attached a screen shot so you can see what I mean. It's not the normal Google search engine.
Screenshot.jpg

oftentired

Re: Can't disable Google Custom search on brower

Post by oftentired »

Maybe it should be obvious to me, but it is not.

How, or what steps, do you take to reach the CSE webpage? In other words by which method are you arriving at the point where you would begin your search?

Homepage? Startup? Omnibox? Favorite?
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Muchloved1

Post by Muchloved1 »

Hi, i open a new tab, type in top search engine and get this "Google" look. I'm going to copy and paste what I posted on the Linux forum when I used Chrome.... I had the exact same problem.

ME
Remember the old days of Windows..if you downloaded something, and next time you go into your browser it's suddenly Babylon, or Delta or some other weird looking browser, and it's a mission to get rid of, you can't just remove it, it's a whole process. I've done some searching and found this:

Why it is that your web browser redirects to what appears to be the Google home page, and how to stop it doing so. Here's how to remove the Google redirect virus. (See all internet security tips.)
What is the Google redirect virus?

First we should explain that there is no single 'Google redirect virus'. Rather, the term covers myriad infections of malware that redirects your web browser to Google.com, or something that looks like it. If you've ever found your web browser home page inexplicably changing to a Google search page, or notice that the default search engine in your browser's search bar has changed, you could say that you have been a victim of the Google redirect virus. We've covered this territory before and you can find specific help in our article: How to get rid of unwanted web browser toolbars: remove Babylon, Snap.do Delta, iLivid, Yahoo, Ask toolbars from your browser
POSTER
Restore Chrome settings to their original defaults.
ME
It won't allow me to change the settings...it's set on Google default and apparently set by my administrator...as I am the administrator on our google account, I didn't change anything nor can I change anything. I'll try un-installing it. Thanks for your feedback. :)
POSTER (PERSON WHO HELPED ME)
This should do it:

1. Close Chrome.

2. Execute this terminal command (do not type it, just use copy/paste to transfer it to the terminal):
CODE: SELECT ALL
rm -r -v ~/.config/google-chrome && rm -r -v ~/.cache/google-chrome

3. Launch Chrome again. It should be clean.
Doing the above got it back to normal again...... but it's not working for Slimjet ..... I don't know if you now understand what my problem is? My google search page is a redirect .... I don't have that big GOOGLE in the middle of my "window" ;)

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

I think your using the omnibox search engine. In the Slimjet settings there is a section for making changes to the omnibox search features. I think you should be able to use the first drop down button to select your default omnibox search engine which should resolve the issue after you change it to something other than the custom Google. You can use the second button to manage the available search engine choices and remove the custom google if you want to do so.

After your next reply I'm going move this topic to the Usage forum.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Muchloved1

Post by Muchloved1 »

Hi Oftentired

It's in the Ominibox that I can't change my settings, says it's be set like that from my administrator... like mentioned above, I am the administrator, I didn't change anything.