[Feature Request] Start Menu, Remove Recently Closed

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Knowthought

[Feature Request] Start Menu, Remove Recently Closed

Post by Knowthought »

I know this is very very small and unimportant topic and for it to be the only thing keeping me from switching from Firefox. It doesn't matter If I clear my history from the new tab page or everytime Slimjet closes. It still retains this Start Menu and taskbar list of recently closed tabs and most visited pages. There is basically no point in clearing history when these still remain. I know you can do it manually, but who is going to do that??? Please! You would be the first chrome alternative to do this!

oftentired

Re: [Feature Request] Start Menu, Remove Recently Closed

Post by oftentired »

In the meantime....

Download and install FREE CCleaner from Piriform, this is a reputable cleaner program which has very good reviews, I have used it for several years now

• DURING installation BE SURE to UNCHECK the selection to install Google Chrome browser (this is the free standard program so they generate revenue by bundling google chrome)

• After installation run the program and on the Cleaner/Windows tab (already selected by default) look through the choices and select/de-select as you might want to have selected for everyday or multiple times per day cleaning, for example I (me, myself, not saying you should) would uncheck cookies as I would not want them cleaned everyday

• BUT ALSO for this to be useful for your request, be sure to checkmark the choice which reads, "User Assist History"

• Navigate in CCleaner to Options/Settings where you can see wipe free drive space/MFT space, this is deceptive, it will not wipe free space UNLESS you first check the option at the very bottom of your choices for cleaning (at Cleaner/Windows)

• In Options/Settings you may want to choose to run CCleaner when the computer starts

• Of course make any other selections/de-selections you wish in Option/Settings

• Navigate to Options/Advanced, if your not familiar with CCleaner don't do this right away, but later you may want to tell the program to automatically close after running

You will notice it has the ability to clean the registry. I urge GREAT caution any time you use any registry cleaner and MUST EMPHASIS that if you use the registry cleaner take the time to UNCHECK every single thing it cleans (click the blue square) and then go back and check them one at a time and only clean ONE AT A TIME. This is important as it will make it simpler to restore them one at a time to narrow down where you might have had a problem with the registry changes and you can then avoid, or experiment with caution, that area in the future. For this to work always say yes to the question when it asks if you want to, backup up changes to the registry? After you say yes I highly recommend either change the name of the file to reflect the cleaning type that was done or use a folder system that provides you the name of each type of cleaning that was done. I also suggest a very easy to remember, simple to navigate location, with short folder names, in case correction (restoring previous REG entries) requires a command line prompt in safe mode.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Knowthought

Post by Knowthought »

Thanks for all of that in depth info, I already use CCleaner but its no more useful to this situation than manually removing recently closed under Slimjet itself. Still a manual deal.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

There are some solutions here.

Knowthought

Post by Knowthought »

Ive seen these options, why not just have the changes made as a option in the application itself?