Word Highlight Extension - What's it doing there?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
oftentired

Re: Word Highlight Extension - What's it doing there?

Post by oftentired »

It must be asked, did you obtain a fresh installation file for Slimjet from a different source than the original when you performed the clean install?

I don't refer to malwarebytes as MBAM, didn't make the connection.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

highstream

Post by highstream »

No, Slimjet always from Slimjet site (haven't looked if it's elsewhere). Understood about Malwarebytes; it has been commonly abbreviated MBAM for years.

The thing is - I was about to edit my last post - is if I'm the only one getting this Word Highlight extension, then that suggests it comes from elsewhere. But it's all a guess at this point.

dev

Post by dev »

Well i haven't had any word highlight added after updating to 7.0 or 7.1 if that helps point to something else on your computer. Run this hijackthis http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/ and see if anything pops up that may point to the problem

highstream

Post by highstream »

HiJackThis found nothing and it's not offering log file support at the moment. So I've posted the problem on BleepingComputer and will see if they take it up.

highstream

Post by highstream »

Ran Hitman again, this time activated. Lots of tracker cookies deleted but no change in the SJ result.

azmarisela

Post by azmarisela »

highstream wrote:On opening SJ today, there's an extension called Word Highlight ("W" on the address bar) that I'd never heard of and certainly didn't install. Where'd that come from? The problem now at minimum is that the Enable box won't uncheck. What's the deal?

It seems you are not the only one having this problem. I found it at the webstore and if you read the reviews (with most recent being first) several others are saying the exact same thing as you are. That it installed on its own and now they are not able to remove it. My only suggestion would be to create a new profile but to turn sync off first and then reinstall your extensions.

highstream

Post by highstream »

Thanks for checking that. I've added a review and tweeted the developer. Would you clarify what you mean by profile and sync in this context? I'm running SJ on a desktop PC and uninstalled SJ completely via Revo Pro and CCleaner. The only thing I didn't do was a registry search for SJ, only searched and eliminated the extension's code. Yet, the latter came back upon reinstallation and startup. As for sync, I don't normally sync any browser, but don't find any sync choice in SJ's drop down menu or in Settings.

azmarisela

Post by azmarisela »

highstream wrote:Thanks for checking that. I've added a review and tweeted the developer. Would you clarify what you mean by profile and sync in this context? I'm running SJ on a desktop PC and uninstalled SJ completely via Revo Pro and CCleaner. The only thing I didn't do was a registry search for SJ, only searched and eliminated the extension's code. Yet, the latter came back upon reinstallation and startup. As for sync, I don't normally sync any browser, but don't find any sync choice in SJ's drop down menu or in Settings.

Sure. Since it's a Chromium based browser if you are logged into your google account in the settings, it will sync your bookmarks, settings, and extensions and other profile info. So even if you uninstall everything off your computer, once you reinstall and log back into your google account it will sync all that stuff back. What I would do before deleting or making a new profile is turn off the extension sync first, then uninstall everything like you did, restart and then reinstall. Then I would double check to make sure the extension sync is not checked and then reinstall extensions one by one and see if that comes back. If it does not then you know your old extension data is corrupt and its easy to manually move all your other data over to a new profile. Ill get you the instructions on how to disable the sync and then to create a profile etc. If you need to.

First go to your setting from the drop down menu. Once on the settings page you will see at the top "Sign In" If you are signed in it will say "signed in as "your email addy"" Under that you should have a button that says "advanced sync settings..." click on that and a box will open. Uncheck the box next to extensions. You can uncheck any others you prefer to as well. Now you can uninstall SJ again etc. And restart and reinstall. When reinstalling, and after you sign in, make sure to open that back up to make sure the extension box is not checked.

Now if you are not signed in then the Sync setting box will be greyed out.

highstream

Post by highstream »

Thanks! First problem: signed in, the Advanced Sync box is entirely unresponsive; i.e., the drop down doesn't respond and everything is checked and won't uncheck.

azmarisela

Post by azmarisela »

highstream wrote:Thanks! First problem: signed in, the Advanced Sync box is entirely unresponsive; i.e., the drop down doesn't respond and everything is checked and won't uncheck.

OK That is a corrupt profile. Let me get you the instructions on how to move over just your bookmarks and other settings without the extensions and create a new one. While I am getting that info, are you able to sign out at least? See if you can sign out and then sign back in and disable that.