Slimjet and Ubuntu - performance

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
sjguy111

Slimjet and Ubuntu - performance

Post by sjguy111 »

On my pc, Slimjet running on Ubuntu is slower than Firefox. One example happens when I log on to a newspaper. It is slower than FF loading in the various pages.

Is there something I can tweek to improve the performance, or is this an issue between Chromium and this type of OS? I've tried a few things recommended on the internet, but have had no luck so far.

FYI, it does not affect the performance of Youtube videos now that I have that issue resolved. I have not had this problem with Slimjet and Windows. Also this problem does not happen with FF.

Thanks in advance!

sjguy111

Re: Slimjet and Ubuntu - performance

Post by sjguy111 »

If I turn off Hardware acceleration, the pages start cascading down as they are appearing on the screen.... like ripples of water moving fast.

With Hardware acceleration on, they present in a normal way, but slow in going from one page to the next.

It's like something needs a boost to pick up the pace. Best way I can describe Slimjet performance on Ubuntu in my pc.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

If your system can tolerate HA, then use it. I wish I could.

And SJ strongly recommends not crossing bitness on Linux. If your ubuntu is x64, SJ should be as well. This is not true of Windows, where SJ x32 is generally best unless you have RAM oozing out of the air vents.

sjguy111

Post by sjguy111 »

My Ubuntu is 32 bit, and SJ is 32 bit Deb.

I have uninstalled and re-installed and still get same slow page loading performance.
I even tried to install SJ x64 Deb on my 32 bit Ubuntu just to see what would happen, and SJ would not install. It told me that it was incompatible with my OS.
I've tried lots of suggestions from the internet but nothing has worked yet.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Ok. Just wanted to make sure that wasn't the problem.

sjguy111

Post by sjguy111 »

Today I installed the same Ubuntu and same Slimjet on another older computer here. SJ is running as fast as blazes on it.
So, it is not an issue of non-compatibility.
One of these days I may just re-install Ubuntu and SJ on this pc.
When I do, I'll update this thread.
Thanks again for your help!

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Intel is usually very solid on linux, I'm told, but the only thing I can suggest is changing the video drivers. If it's the same machine as in the nearby thread, this should be the driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/produc ... ss-Chipset

I would back up data and either take a system image or a restore point using SystemBack first, just in case.

sjguy111

Post by sjguy111 »

I went ahead and did a re-install of Ubuntu this morning (while I was still in an install mood). And then I installed Slimjet.
I'm happy to report that SJ is running as fast as ever.
Something in my first install of Ubuntu got messed up and affected the SJ install. I can only attribute that to some screw-up on my part..

Thanks for that link Paul. This pc is Intel Celeron and the other one is Intel Pentium 4. These are two old pc's that have served us well.
I made a note of that Intel website.

And that pretty much wraps things up on my end.... until the next time.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Good to know. Thanks.