Slimjet 32 & 64 Version 5.0.16.0 using old flash?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
beast-usa

Slimjet 32 & 64 Version 5.0.16.0 using old flash?

Post by beast-usa »

Is there a reason that I'm not seeing that all the new versions of Slimjet use the old version (18.0.0.332) of flash?

I have noticed that the last few updates keep rolling back the flash to that old version.
I update the (manifest.json - pepflashplayer.dll) into the Slimjet (adobe) pepperflash folders. (version 19.0.0.226)
32 bit on a 64 bit OS C:\Program Files (x86)\Slimjet\PepperFlash
32 bit browser on a 32 bit OS C:\Program Files\Slimjet\PepperFlash
64 bit browser on a 64 bit OS C:\Program Files\Slimjet\PepperFlash

Then as soon as there is an update to the browser, I install the newest version and it re-installs the old version (18.0.0.332) of flash?
It's no big deal to update it to the newer version of flash again just wondering why the last 3 or 4 version updates re-install the old flash?

Thanks.

P.S.
Are we ever going to get back CUSTOMIZATION in the toolbar? (WE CAN MOVE THE ICONS like version 4.0.10.0 and lower)
ThermalTake GT10, Asus Rampage V Exteme, i7-6950X (Raystorm water block), 32gigs DDR4-3000 Crucial Ballistix Tactical, EVGA GTX 1080 SC, OS HD's - 2 X 128gig Crucial M550's SSD's in Raid 0, Corsair SINGLE RAIL 1050 watt

rseilersj

Re: Slimjet 32 & 64 Version 5.0.16.0 using old flash?

Post by rseilersj »

I really wish it wouldn't do that. The installer should be able to sense whether a newer version already exists in Slimjet's program directory, and if so, not overwrite it.

I've setup a batch file that I run after updating Slimjet, which is a little ridiculous. It copies the current files in from the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash directory (path will be different if you use 64-bit Slimjet).

Speaking of which, why can't Slimjet just look for the existence of the Macromed directory, and if it finds it, use it? The files shouldn't also need to be in Slimjet's program directory. Oh, and Flash is also in your Slimjet profile, though that's not the one that matters according to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about.

Anyway, as you found, Flash is a mess in Slimjet.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

If you wish to update flash, go to chrome://components, locate the flash component and click "check for Update". It should update you to 19.0.0.226. The newer version of flash will be stored under your slimjet profile. The older version under the Slimjet program folder no longer matters.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

rseilersj

Post by rseilersj »

How long ago was the one in Program Files deprecated? I could have sworn that not too long ago (a month or two at most), I visited the Flash About page and found that Program Files took precedence over the one in the profile. It doesn't now in .16, at least.

Why does the installer still put Flash in Program Files?

beast-usa

Post by beast-usa »

flashpeak wrote:If you wish to update flash, go to chrome://components, locate the flash component and click "check for Update". It should update you to 19.0.0.226. The newer version of flash will be stored under your slimjet profile. The older version under the Slimjet program folder no longer matters.
When you look under "Settings" it still says the old version unless you up date Slimjet\PepperFlash?

I agree with rseilersj why not just use the current installed on the system?

But my original question was is there a reason for this?
I'm guessing that reply means no?

I will just keep doing it my way works fine easy to do and I'm almost done anyway sick of the backwards menu (home, downloads, trash icons) and not be able to customize it like I want. Still have no idea why you guys ruined that version 4.10 and earlier were great. I keep checking just in case but every version still has them backwards. :(
ThermalTake GT10, Asus Rampage V Exteme, i7-6950X (Raystorm water block), 32gigs DDR4-3000 Crucial Ballistix Tactical, EVGA GTX 1080 SC, OS HD's - 2 X 128gig Crucial M550's SSD's in Raid 0, Corsair SINGLE RAIL 1050 watt

rseilersj

Post by rseilersj »

New version of Flash today so more fun. Testing with 6.0, trying to update with chrome://components yielded no results.

Manually updating the Program Files location with v.245 and visiting Adobe's Flash About page showed v.245, despite an older version in the profile and later NO version in the profile after I deleted it.

This seems to defy my findings last time. Oh, well.