Chance to limit the data amount of Slimet towards the HD?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
SJ_Diamond

Chance to limit the data amount of Slimet towards the HD?

Post by SJ_Diamond »

Hey :)

Just wondering, do you Slimjet guys can reduce the amount of data which is written towards the HD?

It seems to be a general problem that Chromium based browsers do write tons of data even if you for example put the Cache towards a Ram Disk. While that is no problem on mechanical drvies, Slimjet and Chromium in general seem to be poison for SSD's!

Was forced to uninstall Slimjet from one of my computers which has an SSD because it created Host Writes of 1 GB every 30-40 minutes - And that is way too much and this is not present in other browsers. Also not on browsers like Maxthon which is also in some way Chromium based.

So.. perhaps finding a way to limit the insane amount of Data which is constantly written towards the HD would be greatly appreciated if possible!

jeffhere

Re: Chance to limit the data amount of Slimet towards the HD

Post by jeffhere »

another question: can the cache be moveable to somewhere else? I also use an ssd, but could place cache in a ramdisk (created from RAM) so it is not used by the ssd...could not find a setting to move it.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

No. This is currently not supported. But I have to agree that it is a good idea to provide option to put the cache somewhere else.
jeffhere wrote:another question: can the cache be moveable to somewhere else? I also use an ssd, but could place cache in a ramdisk (created from RAM) so it is not used by the ssd...could not find a setting to move it.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

I haven't really looked into this before. It might be useful to provide an option to store all the temporary files somewhere, such as history and cache.
SJ_Diamond wrote:Hey :)

Just wondering, do you Slimjet guys can reduce the amount of data which is written towards the HD?

It seems to be a general problem that Chromium based browsers do write tons of data even if you for example put the Cache towards a Ram Disk. While that is no problem on mechanical drvies, Slimjet and Chromium in general seem to be poison for SSD's!

Was forced to uninstall Slimjet from one of my computers which has an SSD because it created Host Writes of 1 GB every 30-40 minutes - And that is way too much and this is not present in other browsers. Also not on browsers like Maxthon which is also in some way Chromium based.

So.. perhaps finding a way to limit the insane amount of Data which is constantly written towards the HD would be greatly appreciated if possible!

Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

Sandal23

Post by Sandal23 »

There is a workaround. If you create a symbolic junction you can move your cache in ramdisk.
You have to create a cache folder in your ramdisk,
than rename your slimjet cache folder for example "Cache2"
open an administrator command prompt and type a command similar to

Code: Select all

mklink /d c:\"your original slimjet cache folder" "your ramdisk cache folder path"
for example this is my symbolic junction for slimjet portable

mklink /d D:\Impostazioni\Slimjet\"User Data"\Default\Cache N:\Slimjet
*Remember to prior create a cache folder in your ramdisk. I use SoftPerfect RAM Disk that allow me to create a folder in the ramdisk at every Wimdows startup. Otherwise you have to create a scheduled task or startup entry to create the cache folder in the ramdisk prior of Slimjet launch

I hope it's clear. Ask me if you don't understand
another question: can the cache be moveable to somewhere else? I also use an ssd, but could place cache in a ramdisk (created from RAM) so it is not used by the ssd...could not find a setting to move it.

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

I use softwarepeerfect, too and it always starts with the cache.

Am I having to do this association each time I startup or run slimjet or is it a startup parameter for slimjet [chrome]?

is /d just a switch for mklink?

for example, I have this as my cache, which I use for other chrome browser, too:

R:\CNcache

But if it has to be run each time, I'd pass and wait till it's an available option.

Thanks for the info. If you can clarify how often it needs to run....

Jeff
Sandal23 wrote:There is a workaround. If you create a symbolic junction you can move your cache in ramdisk.
You have to create a cache folder in your ramdisk,
than rename your slimjet cache folder for example "Cache2"
open an administrator command prompt and type a command similar to

mklink /d c:\"your original slimjet cache folder" "your ramdisk cache folder path"
for example this is my symbolic junction for slimjet portable

mklink /d D:\Impostazioni\Slimjet\"User Data"\Default\Cache N:\Slimjet
*Remember to prior create a cache folder in your ramdisk. I use SoftPerfect RAM Disk that allow me to create a folder in the ramdisk at every Wimdows startup. Otherwise you have to create a scheduled task or startup entry to create the cache folder in the ramdisk prior of Slimjet launch

I hope it's clear. Ask me if you don't understand

Sandal23

Post by Sandal23 »

1) Simply set SoftPerfect RAM Disk to create your cache folder at every startup

2) Reboot

3) delete or rename your Slimjet cache folder for example "Cache2"

4) open an administrator command prompt and type a command similar to
mklink /d c:\"your original Slimjet cache folder" "your ramdisk cache folder path"

That's all. You have to this only one time

/d is a switch for mklink because you are creating a symbolic junction of a directory

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

thanks...but problem is I already have a cache and just want slimjet to share that cache with the other browsers that are already using it.

I get an error "cannot create a file when that file already exists". Which, yup, it exists..

Makes sense, just want to move it to a common cache, not make a new dir...is there the same for a move command? There is a /H and a /J but I am unsure if either would do what I want....

command I used: mklink /d "C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Local\Slimjet\User Data\Default\Cache" "R:\CNcache"

So as mentioned CNcache already exists for other browsers...

Sandal23

Post by Sandal23 »

You must rename or delete Cache folder located in C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Local\Slimjet\User Data\Default\
after that try this command

mklink /d C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Local\Slimjet\"User Data"\Default\Cache R:\CNcache
for me it works

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

Hey, thanks Sandal23 - it worked. Looks like the trick was to delete the existing slimjet cache. Now I see the "shortcut", but it still looks like its placing files in the old slimjet cache?
Capture.GIF
Also, I don't see it to be a problem, but I will ask as you seem knowledgeable enough to figure out how to move cache :) - having 1 cache location for 4 different chrome browsers...OK or not OK? I don't see a downside and the upside is maybe they share some of the data so i don't have 4 separate caches to deal with! And my thought to do it this way is because I'd believe since writing to a memory disk (from softperfect) there are less writes to the ssd.

Makes sense?
Sandal23 wrote:You must rename or delete Cache folder located in C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Local\Slimjet\User Data\Default\
after that try this command

mklink /d C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Local\Slimjet\"User Data"\Default\Cache R:\CNcache
for me it works