Where are cookies located?

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
keepreal

Where are cookies located?

Post by keepreal »

It would be useful to know where and how cookies are stored. I want to be able to delete one of them from time to time as it prevents me using a particular website and deleting it solves the problem.

oftentired

Re: Where are cookies located?

Post by oftentired »

You can manage your cookies from the browser. Put this into the address line.

slimjet://settings/cookies

and possibly here for your computer at the actual folder location

C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

dev

Post by dev »

how does deleting a cookie stop you visiting that website ? Wouldn't Blocking the cookies be a better way.

keepreal

Post by keepreal »

I have already looked at C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage without success. If cookies are somewhere there, they are well hidden and not individually accessible.

"how does deleting a cookie stop you visiting that website ? Wouldn't Blocking the cookies be a better way."
Quite the opposite. This a news site that only allows me limited access without paying, which I do not want to do. I successfully tried deleting all cookies and it worked, but I do not want to have to do that.

Incidentally, when using Internet Explorer 11, access to this site is unlimited but I much prefer to use Slimjet since I found it a few days ago. IE11 often hangs or keeps objecting to sites, sometimes alleging things like script errors. Slimjet is faster and gives no such problems. I only hope they do not update even a tenth as frequently as Chrome does, or change how certain things work just for the hell of it. I found that very annoying, which is why I did not install Chrome and it was only good luck that I found Slimjet after two other browsers that were rubbish.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

if you cannot see the contents of a folder you need to change the folder settings so that you can see hidden files
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

dev

Post by dev »

just enter chrome://open_profile_folder in the address box/search bar then go from there

The folder you want is C:\Users\[Your USER NAME]\AppData\Local\Slimjet\User Data\Default\local storage not "google\chrome" folder, which by the looks of it that's the folder you have checked which also indicates that google chrome has been installed on your system at some time.

Things to try install a extension that makes slimjet look like (the rendering engine) internet explorer https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... mmjbdenadd or block that website from setting cookies when you visit it, paste into search bar slimjet://settings/content then manage exceptions. If you block the cookies there is no cookies to delete and blocking the cookies doesn't stop you from visiting said site. Another way would be to set that sites cookies to clear on exit.

keepreal

Post by keepreal »

Many thanks to everyone for their assistance. I think I have it sussed now.

Yes, actually I did look in the right place, only I copied the path incorrectly somehow from someone else's text. I have never had google chrome on this machine.

In the meantime I figured to try just as dev suggests, and have set to block cookies for the site concerned and, so far, it has allowed me there and not yet blocked me.

As dev also suggests, I typed in chrome://open_profile_folder and it took me to where I'd been before. But this time I found a file called "cookies" into which all of them seem to have been recorded, unlike in IE where they remain as individual files.

dev

Post by dev »

Slimjet same as chrome stores the cookies (in the file you found) in separate text files in a cookies-directory like in IE; It stores all of the cookies together in a single file in the profile folder like Firefox. However, unlike Firefox, it does not use a plain-text file that can easily be edited; rather it stores them in an SQLite3 database in a file called Cookies
You can use an SQLite editor to view or modify the cookies link below.

http://sqlitebrowser.org/

keepreal

Post by keepreal »

Thanks again dev.

Finally I have established that cookies are in

C:\Users\[User name]\AppData\Local\Slimjet\User Data\Default\Cookies

and that I can edit or delete cookies with Sqlitebrowser. However, blocking particular cookies will be the better solution, when it works to the desired effect.