DirectWrite

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Sandal23

DirectWrite

Post by Sandal23 »

Hi, Greetings to all forum members

Google Chrome 37 dev now supports DirectWrite an API on Windows for clear, high-quality text rendering.
Will be this feature implemented in Slimjet?

flashpeak
Site Admin

Re: DirectWrite

Post by flashpeak »

We will move to Chromium 37 when it is officially released. We don't want to build Slimjet on dev build or beta build of Chromium. The dev build might have some exciting features but has more bugs than you would expect.

We are currently moving Slimjet to Chromium 36 and it should be ready in about a week's time if everything goes smoothly.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

Sandal23

Post by Sandal23 »

I don't understand if DirectWrite is a feature of Chrome or it is available in Chromium. Do you know the answer?

Net4Free

Post by Net4Free »

@Sandal23

Hi,

I use this option as an experimental feature since few days. It seems to work flawlessly.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

I can't think of any reason why Google wouldn't make it available in Chromium.
Sandal23 wrote:I don't understand if DirectWrite is a feature of Chrome or it is available in Chromium. Do you know the answer?
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

You are right. It's available in Chromium 35 as an experimental feature. Just go to chrome://flags to enable it.
I checked the difference with my eyes. It is not very noticeable to begin.

With that said, not everyone likes blurry anti-aliased text rendering. I, for one, hate PDF reader for its blurry text rendering. If Google somehow forces directwrite on chrome users, we will definitely add an option so that users can make their own choice.
Net4Free wrote:@Sandal23

Hi,

I use this option as an experimental feature since few days. It seems to work flawlessly.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.