[Usage Tip & Feature Request] Pepper Flash DLL Update

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Nordones

[Usage Tip & Feature Request] Pepper Flash DLL Update

Post by Nordones »

oftentired wrote:The developers are aware of each engine update as it is released and implement it as soon as they are able to do so. It will not happen overnight :)
oftentired,

On a similar note, I keep an updated GoogleChromePortable around just so I can copy over a new pepper flash dll whenever a new release shows up. Works just fine as a substitute for FlashPeak's schedule of release for SlimJet, in terms of flash videos that is.
-N-

oftentired

Re: How about new chrome engine update?

Post by oftentired »

Nordones wrote:
oftentired wrote:The developers are aware of each engine update as it is released and implement it as soon as they are able to do so. It will not happen overnight :)
oftentired,

On a similar note, I keep an updated GoogleChromePortable around just so I can copy over a new pepper flash dll whenever a new release shows up. Works just fine as a substitute for FlashPeak's schedule of release for SlimJet, in terms of flash videos that is.
Perhaps the developers could have SJ check the pepper dll version at the same time it reaches out to check for SJ updates. And if the dll is out of date it could update it with permission but without user interaction except where necessary.

I'm going to separate this subtopic into a new topic.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Nordones

Re: How about new chrome engine update?

Post by Nordones »

oftentired wrote:
Nordones wrote:
oftentired,

Perhaps the developers could have SJ check the pepper dll version at the same time it reaches out to check for SJ updates. And if the dll is out of date it could update it with permission but without user interaction except where necessary.

I'm going to separate this subtopic into a new topic.
Oftentired,

Hadn't thought of that, good idea IMO.
-N-

rseilersj

Re: [Usage Tip & Feature Request] Pepper Flash DLL Update

Post by rseilersj »

Someone let me know if there's an easier way:

1) If you have Chrome installed, and it's of the same "bittedness" (32/64) as Slimjet, then you'll find what's likely to be the current pepflashplayer.dll and manifest.json in the PepperFlash dir of your Chrome user profile. Those two files can be copied over the corresponding files in your Slimjet profile.

2) If not, then you'll have to download and install it (you want PPAPI). The two files to copy into Slimjet are located here for 64-bit (c:\windows\system32\macromed\Flash) and here for 32-bit (c:\windows\SysWOW64\macromed\Flash), though note that the pepflashplayer.dll will have to be renamed after you copy it, since it'll have a version-specific name like pepflashplayer32_17_0_0_188.dll.
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions

Check your version (click details): slimjet://plugins

dev

Post by dev »

rseilersj wrote:Someone let me know if there's an easier way:

1) If you have Chrome installed, and it's of the same "bittedness" (32/64) as Slimjet, then you'll find what's likely to be the current pepflashplayer.dll and manifest.json in the PepperFlash dir of your Chrome user profile. Those two files can be copied over the corresponding files in your Slimjet profile.

2) If not, then you'll have to download and install it (you want PPAPI). The two files to copy into Slimjet are located here for 64-bit (c:\windows\system32\macromed\Flash) and here for 32-bit (c:\windows\SysWOW64\macromed\Flash), though note that the pepflashplayer.dll will have to be renamed after you copy it, since it'll have a version-specific name like pepflashplayer32_17_0_0_188.dll.
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions

Check your version (click details): slimjet://plugins
Just disable number 2 and run pepperflash only, no reason to have two "flashplayers" running really even more-so if pepper is enabled as the browser defaults to using it anyhow. If you really want adobe flash not pepper disable pepper and go here https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?fpchrome for latest update without the need to locate different folders or renaming .dll's

You have the the directories wrong btw, 64bit is syswow64 and 32bit is system32

rseilersj

Post by rseilersj »

dev wrote:Just disable number 2 and run pepperflash only, no reason to have two "flashplayers" running really even more-so if pepper is enabled as the browser defaults to using it anyhow. If you really want adobe flash not pepper disable pepper and go here https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?fpchrome for latest update without the need to locate different folders or renaming .dll's

You have the the directories wrong btw, 64bit is syswow64 and 32bit is system32
In MS logic, SysWOW64 really is the place for 32-bit, but that aside I don't think I'm quite following what you're saying about disabling #2, as that is pepperflash, not the Flash for other browsers like Firefox. That "other" Flash is still necessary for those browsers, which is why I also have it installed, but I wasn't referencing that in my last post at all.

I haven't followed the various Flashes that closely, but it's my understanding that it's preferred to use PPAPI in Chromium browsers as it's more sandboxed/secure (and in Chrome's case, more updated) than the older NPAPI, which is in the process of being phased out.

dev

Post by dev »

Yeah brain fart with sys64 etc my bad forgot nothing is logical with windows.

To me what you describe in your method number 2 is the npapi not PPAPI (pepperflash) and dis-enabling it in slimjet would not stop it working in other browsers.

As i saw it thus the confusion :

Adobe Flash Player (2 files) - Version: 17.0.0.134
Shockwave Flash 17.0 r0
Name: Shockwave Flash
Description: Shockwave Flash 17.0 r0
Version: 17.0.0.134
Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Slimjet\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll
Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)
Disable
MIME types:
MIME type Description File extensions
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash