Converted to Slimjet but ABP a problem.

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
islandman

Converted to Slimjet but ABP a problem.

Post by islandman »

Since discovering Slimjet, I am converted.

My preferred choice of adblocker is AdBlock pro.

BUT, nearly every day, to get this to work, I have to Rt clickon the ABP icon, scroll down to manage extensions and left click it. Then where I see ABP is enabled, I have to uncheck Enable and check it again before it operates. Can anyone explain why this is please?. I use Avast and I'm on Vista if that helps.

oftentired

Re: Converted to Slimjet but ABP a problem.

Post by oftentired »

I've noticed a delay, the first time after starting my box, in the browser loading my homepage. It appears to be waiting for AB to call home and check if my filter list needs to be updated. If you have a lot of lists in use this check can take a long time. To work around this delay I've set my home page to a trusted page where AB is not enabled. I generally won't navigate away from the homepage until it is completely loaded which seems to coincide with AB finishing the list check.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Many of us here have switched to uBlock.

islandman

Post by islandman »

paul1149 wrote:Many of us here have switched to uBlock.
Hi Paul, I'm quite happy to change to uBlock, but first, why did you switch, did you have the same issue? and does uBlock kick in at the start.

Otentired, I only have Avast online security to kick in.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

I was having speed problems with ABP or ABSuper, especially because I do a lot of work on netbooks. The switch to uBlock, which was recommended here by a poster, brought an instant improvement. Since then I did have one problem with too many block lists being enabled, of which I don't know the cause, so I would only suggest that on rare occasion you check your lists to make sure everything is in order.

Just this morning someone posted to another forum this uBlock solved issue page, which is worth checking out: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/42

islandman

Post by islandman »

I removed AdBlockPlus and tried AdBlock, pages seemed to load faster, I logged out, rebooted, tried yahoo mail, and there was the ad. Removed AdBlock and now have uBlock, will log off/on to see what happens. PS, UGH!, the ad is still there. ah well, I suppose it's no big deal to enable/disable each time, but you shouldn't have to.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

The inline YM ad? They are nasty. YM hasn't kept up. I use mine only as a backup.

islandman

Post by islandman »

paul1149 wrote:The inline YM ad? They are nasty. YM hasn't kept up. I use mine only as a backup.

If by that Paul you mean the ad which is there at yahoo log in, yes, that one. I always start my surfing with yahoo mail, and if the ad is there, that's when I enable/disable. In the grand scheme of things, they're not life & death, simply irritating. Those which surround a page are the worst. But sorting it out on my first page satisfies me to an extent. I have to say I haven't got an ad blocker on my ipad.

Going to log off now, it's telly time, but will be back 10pm ish.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

I seldom if ever see that one. The one I find very intrusive is inline with the inbox mail entrees. It looks much like a mail. I think I was able to nuke it using ghostery, but that caused a lack of functionality on the page that made it not worth it.

dev

Post by dev »

I Run ublock with just Fanboy+Easylist-Merged Ultimate List and ghostery in conjunction with ublock and i don't see any ads. I've checked yahoo login page and i don't see any ads there either. Two good reasons to switch to ublock are one its lighter on your ram usage and two its not in cahoot with Google, Microsoft etc like adblock plus in allowing certain ads to filter through (don't fall for the opt out to block all ads, that's just a con these big companies are paying big money so ad's run whether the users tick a box or not.)
Below is what ublock captures.
domains connected

4 out of 5
  
all
images
3rd-party
inline scripts
1st-party scripts
3rd-party scripts
3rd-party frames
yahoo.com+    −
flickr.com+     
scorecardresearch.com     −
yahooapis.com+     
yimg.com

Ghostery captures

Right Media
Advertising
ScoreCard Research Beacon
Beacons, Analytics
Yahoo Analytics
Analytics

With ublock and i've told paul before to make sure you purge the caches and update your lists manually regularly.