Too much download protection

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
paul1149

Too much download protection

Post by paul1149 »

I have "enable phishing and malware protection" turned off, but still I am getting many downloads intercepted by SJ. I have to open the downloads page and permit them - twice.

I went searching this problem out, and inexplicably Chrome's help pointed me toward Windows Control Panel / Internet Options, which I thought affected only IE. Nonetheless I turned off Protected Mode and made sure downloads were permitted, which they were. No change.

I use Panda Free anti-malware, but the problem is an inherent SJ function. I download a lot of system utilities, so this has been a frequent problem here.

Thanks,
Paul

dev

Re: Too much download protection

Post by dev »

Just check its not panda m8 as one of their updates really screwed up peoples computers http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/securit ... ate-164504

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

A true nightmare scenario. But the article doesn't mention the possibility of using System Restore or Last Good Config to undo a sudden catastrophe like that - though SR sometimes does not work.

I'm blessed that I have not had any feedback on this from my machines.

But the problem I'm having here I think is endemic to Chromium.

Thanks,
Paul

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Come to think of it, I did have a system breakdown about 5 days ago or so. After a bit of messing around, I simply dropped the hammer and did a system restore to an image I take daily. After a bit of fine-tuning, the job was done in 2 hours. It's likely that Panda had something to do with the problem. Great prog, though, and mistakes can happen to anyone. Will continue to use. EVERYONE needs to take regular image and file backups. This is the easy version of the virtual machine solution that article hypes.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

Do you mean when you download an executable file, it is marked as harmful and unsafe? Can you provide a download link for testing purpose?
paul1149 wrote:I have "enable phishing and malware protection" turned off, but still I am getting many downloads intercepted by SJ. I have to open the downloads page and permit them - twice.

I went searching this problem out, and inexplicably Chrome's help pointed me toward Windows Control Panel / Internet Options, which I thought affected only IE. Nonetheless I turned off Protected Mode and made sure downloads were permitted, which they were. No change.

I use Panda Free anti-malware, but the problem is an inherent SJ function. I download a lot of system utilities, so this has been a frequent problem here.

Thanks,
Paul
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Yes, that's what I meant. I just went back to my downloads page and tested three utilities that had caused problems: junkware removal tool, adwcleaner and roguekiller. This time every one downloaded perfectly.

I had made one change over the past week - I found the setting "ask where to save download" and checked it. (I run the extension "downloadr", and thought the lack of Save dialog was its fault, but now I saw that this was a prog setting that I had access to, so I enabled it.)

So to test this out, I went back and unchecked the "ask" setting. Again, the downloads were held in abeyance on the downloads page. It seems that Save dialog also functions as a confirmation that you really want to download.

URLs:
http://thisisudax.org/downloads/JRT.exe
https://toolslib.net/downloads/finish/1/get/KkiN/
http://download.adlice.com/RogueKiller/RogueKiller.exe