Sluggishness

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
paul1149

Sluggishness

Post by paul1149 »

I've been having a chronic problem with Slimjet being sluggish. Especially when I use it after a while of being idle, it just sits there doing nothing for many seconds. I think particular problem is due to the periodic memory dump that it's set to do, but even aside from that performance is not great.

I'm on a core duo, Win7 x32, 4GB RAM, SSD tower, whose install is in good running condition, and yet this is a problem. I typically have two instances of SJ open, with an average of six tabs open in each.

And when I install SJ on netbooks, the initial startup time is daunting. Once it's open it's not too bad.

I'd really like to beat this problem, because I'm deploying SJ to many laptops.

Paul

oftentired

Re: Sluggishness

Post by oftentired »

temporarily turn off your extensions and see what the performance is

slimjet://extensions

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Good point. The extensions have a major influence on resources, especially ones like the ad blocker. I have a clean profile with no extensions that I fired up, and the lag is less and I didn't see any inertia after the prog had laid dormant for a while.

I can pare down some of the extensions, but most of them are necessary. I learned some time ago to go with the bare minimum on the profile I use for deployment. And still the prog lags, especially initially.

Thanks,
Paul

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

it may help to tell active extensions with "white" list option not to be active on the home page
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

dev

Post by dev »

Check your plugins too, disable any you don't use and also make sure your ad blocker (i think you use ublock which is a lighter than adblock etc) is not over filtered. Fanboy+Easylist-Merged Ultimate List‎ is all anybody needs to block pretty much any ad.
Don't over clean slimjet leave trusted cookies etc alone.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

My home page is Speed Dial, but the greater problem is I'm trying to speed up SJ for my deployments, which could have any manner of configuration.

Dev - all good ideas, and all of which I had done. :) I had noticed the ad blocker taking exorbitant resources at one point, and on investigation found just about every ad list checked somehow!

Hmmm, that was back on adblock super. Now on ublock, I see there are a few lists checked. I am going to pare back and see the difference that makes. This might be effective! Thanks.

BW,
Paul

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

My man, I think you nailed this. I tuned down ublock, and am seeing much greater spunkiness. Less lag when I return to the prog after being elsewhere for a while. This is definitely a part - and perhaps the major part - of the solution. I've already adjusted my deployment profile accordingly. Thanks!

Paul

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

A fresh boot today, and all signs of lag are gone. Instant opening, instant resume after being idle. I think in particular the problem was a list of 27000 bad domains that was enabled. I have no idea how that and other lists got enabled. I certainly didn't do it. It would take a high-powered gaming rig to carry that kind of weight around. Thanks again - I owe you a coffee on this one. :)

dev

Post by dev »

paul1149 wrote:A fresh boot today, and all signs of lag are gone. Instant opening, instant resume after being idle. I think in particular the problem was a list of 27000 bad domains that was enabled. I have no idea how that and other lists got enabled. I certainly didn't do it. It would take a high-powered gaming rig to carry that kind of weight around. Thanks again - I owe you a coffee on this one. :)
No problems paul happy to have helped out.
What i do is to regularly purge the ad filter caches then update them as i think ublock has trouble from pulling its updates from its github page so as you've said lists get enabled without knowing. It could have been a update to ublock which reset your filters to default.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Good to know. Thanks.