Will we see Further Updates of Slimjet?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Papabear502

Will we see Further Updates of Slimjet?

Post by Papabear502 »

Just a general question. I noticed that Slimjet hasn't been updated since June/July of this year. Will we be seeing any further updates? Chromium is now up to build 119, but the most current version of Slimjet is based on 114. Is this software is no longer supported we'll all have to start looking elsewhere which will be a bummer cuz I really like Slimjet.

Thanks for your time.

Papabear502

Re: Will we see Further Updates of Slimjet?

Post by Papabear502 »

Looks like many folks are viewing the question, but no answers have been forthcoming. I really like Slimjet, I really do, but if no further updates are on the way I'll likely have to find a new primary browser. I am sorry to have to say this, I really have no other choice. Slimjet has been a great Chromium browser, but times change. I appreciate everything the developers have accomplished and if the software is updated I'll return.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

This is a user to user forum. You will rarely see a post from Flashpeak on here. There is zero chance that his lack of response on this forum is a useful indication. Also, this will not be the first time several updates to the Chromium engine have been bypassed between SJ updates. Looking at Chromium updates vs Slimjet updates is not a good litmus test.

I would go by the Slimjet webpage as he hosts them on his own server. If that goes down for over 2 weeks. Then I would conclude there may be no further updates.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Papabear502

Post by Papabear502 »

oftentired wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:34 am
This is a user to user forum. You will rarely see a post from Flashpeak on here. There is zero chance that his lack of response on this forum is a useful indication. Also, this will not be the first time several updates to the Chromium engine have been bypassed between SJ updates. Looking at Chromium updates vs Slimjet updates is not a good litmus test.

I would go by the Slimjet webpage as he hosts them on his own server. If that goes down for over 2 weeks. Then I would conclude there may be no further updates.
I unistalled Slimjet now because it continually locks up Windows 10.

BC98MMYB

Post by BC98MMYB »

The browser market has gotten very saturated in the last 5 years
Chrome is still the common man's standard
Microsoft challenges Chrome directly now with edge
Opera and Brave have a sizable presence and are growing
many niche Blink browsers a vying for a position like Vivaldi, Tempest, Thorium, ect

Firefox is waning in the mainstream but still has some niche derivatives like Floorp, Pulse and Librewolf (I still use waterfox)
It seems very hard to build and keep a community of loyal users without really unique or innovative features nowadays.

Slimjet was the first chrome based browser I ever used many years ago. I've always liked it's unique features but never liked it's icon or UI button style.
I switched to Brave a couple years ago for a time but it's bloat and excessive writes to SSD made be search for a new primary blink browser. I'm back on slimjet for now.
I'd really like to see it continue to be developed but I understand why it may not be.

Papabear502 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:46 pm
I unistalled Slimjet now because it continually locks up Windows 10.
That has something to do with your hardware/drivers or corrupt windows install. a windows reinstall would probably solve it.
I have slimjet on 4 devices varying from 8 year old to 2 year old hardware, intel and amd, all win10. never had that issue.