Web Environment Integrity API - A DRM for the web?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Mr_Electro84

Web Environment Integrity API - A DRM for the web?

Post by Mr_Electro84 »

Behind the scenes of Google Chrome, a new API called "Web Environment Integrity API" is being prepared. The aim of this API is to ensure that the system used by the surfer is "trustworthy", which according to Google would make it possible to better combat spam bots on websites, better secure financial transactions or even place copyrights.

To achieve this, the API sends a certain amount of information about the user's hardware configuration or operating system to the website visited. The website is then free to decide whether or not to authorize access.

This proposal has already provoked a reaction from a number of web players (including Mozilla Firefox, Brave and Vivaldi), who fear that it will accentuate the fingerprinting of web users and introduce DRM for the web (and thus a two-speed web).

What does this have to do with Slimjet? Would the browser support this controversial API? That's the question!

In the meantime, I'll leave you to debate on this topic

Sources :
- French : https://www.clubic.com/navigateur-inter ... omium.html
- English : https://www.ghacks.net/2023/07/31/brave ... grity-api/
Mr_Electro84 - From France

Windows 11 - Slimjet 42 (64 bit)

oftentired

Re: Web Environment Integrity API - A DRM for the web?

Post by oftentired »

This is not something new. The API implementation being discussed may be new, I don't know. But checking hardware for security purposes has been around a long time. I know for certain it was used by gaming platforms such as the MSN Gaming Zone. MSN used it to ban users who abused their rules.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11