[Feature Reqeuest] Bookmarks Improvements

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
pixeldroid

[Feature Reqeuest] Bookmarks Improvements

Post by pixeldroid »

Hello:
First off, a big thanks to the Slimjet developers. As a lifetime Firefox user who finally felt forced to switch to Chrome, Slimjet is a treasure. I appreciate the fact that SJ is faster and more private than Chrome (especially when doing local web development), but the biggest advantage for me is the bookmarks panel. Bookmarking is an integral part of my use of the web. It appears there are others for whom this is true, as I learned about SJ on a bookmarks thread on the Chrome Forum. I know beggars shouldn't be choosers, but from a bookmarking perspective, I have some feature requests:
  1. Have the bookmarks panel retains folder states (open folders) between sessions. Currently it reverts to all folders closed.
  2. In the bookmarks manager, after using searching and using "Show In Folder", it would be nice to have a breadcrumbs type menu.
    This would serve a couple of purposes:
    1. If the folders are nested deep, it is difficult to determine the full path.
    2. If the left pane is scrolled, I can no longer see which folder is the container for the bookmarks in the right pane.
  3. In the bookmarks manager, it would be nice to have a 'collapse all' for the left pane.
  4. In the bookmarks manager, after searching and using "Show In Folder", it would be useful to be able to place the cursor back in the search box and type 'tab' or 'enter' to redo the search. Currently, 'tab' does nothing and 'enter' opens a new tab.
  5. In the bookmarks panel, add search function at the top. Typically, the search results replace the bookmarks until the search is cleared - see FF or some Chrome extensions for examples. In the results, include RMB context menu with same options you have in bookmarks manager.
  6. Bookmarks panel independent of SJ instances. Currently its state is the same for all instances. At minimum, don't link its visibility to all SJ instances. For example, I use the "Motorola Connect" extension for using my text account from my phone. This extension can be "popped out" which opens a new instance of SJ. If I'm displaying bookmarks in my main browser window, I don't want them to show up in that window.
  7. When mouseOver a bookmark, show the URL in the lower left of the main browser pane - same as when a link on the webpage is moused over.
Thanks a ton.

Racerbob

Re: Thanks for SJ! Bookmark Feature Requests.

Post by Racerbob »

I have found that the bookmark panel, although useful for me, is quite buggy because no matter what I do, I cannot keep directories from randomly opening when they feel like it. Very annoying.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=222

pixeldroid

Post by pixeldroid »

I encountered this problem also, this fixed it for me:
Open Settings.
Click the 'advanced sync setting' button under "Sign In", which is at the top of the settings page.
In the advanced sync settings panel, set the first dropdown menu to "Choose What to Sync", then uncheck everything (or at least uncheck bookmarks).

Racerbob

Post by Racerbob »

Thanks for that. I shall give this a try immediately and see what happens.

EDIT: OK, this seems to work, but this is a bug that the team needs to attend to. I turned off the sync for the bookmarks and a few other things , but this means also that I am not syncing my bookmarks with my phone then. I can live with that I suppose.

pixeldroid

Post by pixeldroid »

Perhaps the difference here is that you see it happening whereas w/Chrome you don't (unless you are using a bookmark extension). I've noticed that syncing noticeably slows Chrome's performance. Also, from the looks of the way the bookmarks update, it appears to be pretty inefficient.

Racerbob

Post by Racerbob »

That could be. I am a Firefox user mainly who experiments from time to time with Slimjet. I have always wished that Chrome had a bookmark sidebar because I use it a lot. And there really are no good extensions of that type available for Chrome. I am aware of one fellow who is developing one now that is looking pretty promising.

chiefjim

Post by chiefjim »

pixeldroid wrote:Hello:
First off, a big thanks to the Slimjet developers. As a lifetime Firefox user who finally felt forced to switch to Chrome, Slimjet is a treasure. I appreciate the fact that SJ is faster and more private than Chrome (especially when doing local web development), but the biggest advantage for me is the bookmarks panel. Bookmarking is an integral part of my use of the web. It appears there are others for whom this is true, as I learned about SJ on a bookmarks thread on the Chrome Forum. I know beggars shouldn't be choosers, but from a bookmarking perspective, I have some feature requests:
  1. Have the bookmarks panel retains folder states (open folders) between sessions. Currently it reverts to all folders closed.
Totally concur. I have several websites I visit daily and many many more on standby. It would be nice not having to dig out those most used sites.