address bar display

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Anonymosity

address bar display

Post by Anonymosity »

Why does Slimjet hide the prefix of a hostname in the address bar? Even if I select the address, I do not see the prefix. A large domain will use different prefixes for different sites, and being able to see the prefix is useful. I see no point in hiding it.
I use Mac Slimjet 21.0.8.0.

CrockPot

Re: address bar display

Post by CrockPot »

Just click twice on the address bar and it will show up.This is have something to do with Chrome in general,it's not Slimjet exclusive.

Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

CrockPot wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:27 pm
Just click twice on the address bar and it will show up.This is have something to do with Chrome in general,it's not Slimjet exclusive.
That does not work. It just highlights the word I double-click on. I have a bookmarklet that will show me the whole hostname, so I guess I have to use that. I think that behaviour must be somewhat Slimjet exclusive, since Opera, which is also built from chromium source code, does not hide the prefix.

goldensun87

Post by goldensun87 »

I also do not like the beginning of the url being hidden by default. Is there any way to disable/change this in config?

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

Anonymosity wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:54 pm
CrockPot wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:27 pm
That does not work. It just highlights the word I double-click on. I have a bookmarklet that will show me the whole hostname, so I guess I have to use that. I think that behaviour must be somewhat Slimjet exclusive, since Opera, which is also built from chromium source code, does not hide the prefix.
Clicking twice does work, either slow your click or click to the right on the end, not ON an actual word within the field.

entglobal

Post by entglobal »

Clicking twice does work, either slow your click or click to the right on the end, not ON an actual word within the field.
Me too, how can i fix it?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Click twice after the end of the URL in the space with no text instead of clicking on the URL text
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

It works for me.

Also I have seen this feature in other browsers, so evidently there is some school of thought that says hiding the start of the URL is a good thing. And it must have originally taken some effort to have it do this even if it's just copied legacy code now.

Tell me why I should like it. Not trying to argue, only to understand. :mrgreen:

Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I am no longer having the problem of parts of the address being hidden, but I cannot help but wonder why showing the prefix of the hostname is so bad. Is the protocol so evil that it is a terrible idea to display it?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

This feature was arbitrarily introduced by the Chromium engine developers. They made the decision that it was a good thing to do.

Read about it here
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11