Captcha won't load in SJ v25 / Chromium 78

Slimjet bug reports
Gary__M.

Captcha won't load in SJ v25 / Chromium 78

Post by Gary__M. »

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I've read all the Forum history posts on Captcha problems and have performed all the commonly suggested solutions, to no effect.

I have a couple of unproven theories:
1) This is a bug in Chromium 78, and SJ v25 is based on 78. Has anyone got plain Chrome 78 loaded on a Windows 7 machine, and could test a Captcha loading for me?
2) If this is a bug in Chromium 78, does anyone have a newer Chrome (79 0r 80) loaded on a Win 7 machine, and could test a Captcha loading on it for me?
3) The one other possibility I've never heard discussed is whether Captcha searches the User Agent String on SJ, and sees SJ and not Chrome and thus kicks out as an "unsupported" browser, even if it doesn't throw a warning screen to indicate that. I seem to remember that in very early versions of SJ there used to be a button in Settings that allowed an easy change of the User Agent String from SJ to Chrome. I can no longer find that button. Does anyone know of an easy way to change the Slimjet User Agent String to a Chrome User Agent String, ideally on a temporary/test basis?
Windows 7 Pro (64bit), SJ Version 38.0.7.0 (32bit)

Passenger

Re: Captcha won't load in SJ v25 / Chromium 78

Post by Passenger »

It seems to be working for me.

Link to a site where you're having a problem?

Gary__M.

Post by Gary__M. »

ebay.com
When I try to log in, I enter my username and password, and then I get an intercept screen that says "for security purposes" they want me to verify my humanity by completing a Captcha puzzle. Then it says "Captcha loading..." but the Captcha never loads. I can't get past this roadblock, and it prevents me from logging in to ebay.
Took this up with ebay Customer Service, and the C.S. rep could not bypass this Captcha requirement, so she sent a service request to their Tech Support people to see if they could figure out what was going wrong.
(You may not get this Captcha intercept screen at all, because it looks to me like it's a random or periodic thing that their login system uses.)

Also on GitHub.com
Tried to create a new account there, and again, the Captcha wouldn't load, and thus prevented me from creating my new account.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Just tried github. Same problem.

Gary__M.

Post by Gary__M. »

Passenger, thank you for testing your SJ in GitHub. At least that proves that my personal copy of SJ doesn't hold some sort of conflict unique to my installation that's causing the problem.

So, I'm back to the questions I posed in my original posting. Hope others weigh in with additional comments/suggestions. I'm especially hopeful that someone answers Question 3 (are you monitoring this thread, Flashpeak?)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Just a little more information.

The CAPTCHA most commonly used (that I said works for me) is served by recapcha.net

Github uses funcaptcha.com octocaptcha.com.

I was able to create a GitHub account after disabling Ad Blocking for the site and unblocking their scripts in NoScript.

Sorry I won't mess with Ebay, but I suspect something similar.

Hope this helps.

Gary__M.

Post by Gary__M. »

re: GitHub
What I've done:
disabled internal SJ adblocker (I don't have any other adblocker extensions installed)
Don't have NoScript installed, so nothing to allow there, and I assume there's no native script-blocking in SJ.
Enabled cookies for https://octocaptcha.com/ and https://arkoselabs.com/ (I see no listings for funcaptcha)
GitHub Help says the two sites above need to be "whitelisted"...don't know how to check or do that in SJ.
Performed test at https://octocaptcha.com/test Results: passed
Performed test at https://client-demo.arkoselabs.com/github Results: failed (captcha failed to load)

Tried to send results of GitHub Debug routine to GitHub Support, but to contact GH Support, you have to complete a Captcha puzzle (which doesn't load for me)! Talk about frustrating...

I am at a loss (and mighty frustrated) at this point. There are countless suggestions on the internet about possible fixes, but I could spend days trying them, and I've already tried the simpler ones. The only other possibility I can think of is that the captcha IS loading, but I can't see it. Is there a setting in SJ that would block images? Or a place where I can whitelist sites that I don't want images blocked from?

As far as the ebay problem goes, I'm still trying to get their people to delete the captcha requirement on my account. So far, they are giving me the runaround ("yes, we'll look into it and get back to you").

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

I know of 2 possible white lists.

1st which I think you have disposed of in your testing is for any ad blocker that might be on
2nd would be for any anti-virus/malware/PC Security solution you have in place, all though they should already be aware of captcha activity and not blocking it
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

slimbroken

Post by slimbroken »

Was wondering why this never got fixed. Tried every solution in these posts and some elsewhere, still not working. Even went back to an older version and same thing? Ridiculous. Can't get into eBay account on this browser anymore. I won't use native Google Chrome, that's the whole point of using Slimjet. Well Flashpeak, Google, or other responsible party...if you want me using Firefox 100 percent this is how you do it! Even poor old Internet Explorer still works without Captcha issues on eBay...

ronwhite

Post by ronwhite »

I'm having the same problem as Slimbroken and Gary__M.--with eBay. I can log on with Chrome, without eBay insisting on presenting a Captcha, but not with Slimjet. Don't want to use Chrome. Please fix Slimjet.