YouTube viewing and downloading guide (and getting around a bug).

Share tips and tricks on how to make the best use of Slimjet
Passenger

YouTube viewing and downloading guide (and getting around a bug).

Post by Passenger »

This post brings all into one place information from comments on other threads in one handy location.

1) Downloading just the sound.

This bit applies to the latest version. Slimjet recently improved this and it used to be more difficult.
Passenger wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:55 am

Download as webm.
Go to the turbocharged download manager and pause downloading the webm, leaving the mp3 still downloading.
When the mp3 is finished downloading, You have what you want without an additional conversion step.

Then just clean up turbocharged download manager by deleting both entries from the list.

Previously forgot to mention: Also delete the incomplete webm download file from your download directory.

2) The bug of the download button going missing every so often for some reason. It usually comes back after the next update, but no need to revert to a previous version.
Passenger wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:14 am
stevekasian wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:30 pm
That's all well and good, but why won't anybody here address the elephant in the room, aforementioned by the OP:

SLIMJET YOUTUBE DOWNLOADER NO LONGER APPEARS ON YOUTUBE VIDEO PAGES, AND HAS NOT SINCE THE BEGINNING OF 2022.

What gives?? One can't download youtube videos without the "Download" button being visible on the page!
I've posted about this here multiple times over the past year with zero response.
Downloading now.

I put a red circle around what to click:

3) Some custom ad blocking filters you may like:

Code: Select all

||i.ytimg.com/an_webp
www.youtube.com##ytd-compact-promoted-video-*
www.youtube.com###masthead-ad
The first one suppresses thumbnail animations.
The other two counteract YouTube's latest ads not previously blocked.