CCleaner

Share tips and tricks on how to make the best use of Slimjet
pietpeuk

CCleaner

Post by pietpeuk »

I always used CCleaner as my cookie-manager for Chrome and I wanted to keep doing that for Slimjet.
I tried CCEnhancer, which made CCleaner recognize Slimjet, but it wouldn't let me keep the cookies I had selected.
The solution was to make a hardlink.

First uninstall "Google Chrome".
Then make sure the folder "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome" exists and is empty.
After that, in an elevated command-window. enter the command:
mklink /J "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data" "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Slimjet\User Data"

After this, CCleaner will treat the Userdata-folder of Slimjet as if it is chrome's.
The voices tell me to use Slimjet

dev

Re: CCleaner

Post by dev »

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but that does what exactly? Does give ccleaner access to clean the folder or does it make it exempt ? Do you have to install chrome to create the folder needed?

pietpeuk

Post by pietpeuk »

It creates a fake folder (directory junction) "User Data" in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome", which isn't a folder, but actually a shortcut to "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Slimjet\User Data",
but windows and hence any program, wouldn't know the difference.
http://windows7themes.net/en-us/windows ... lic-links/ gives a good explanation.

Chrome doesn't have to be installed, because (apparently) CCleaner only checks for the existence of that folder.
In fact, Chrome would consider Slimjets "User Data" folder as it's own.

dev

Post by dev »

Ah ok got you now, so it could also be used to create a directory for slimjet to be used if want it to run on a different partition which is handy.

pietpeuk

Post by pietpeuk »

Or when people have their C-partition filled to the brim with huge games, you can easily move them to another partition and make a directory junction where you moved the game from.

ekit1916

Post by ekit1916 »

Further, to enable browser monitoring in CCleaner with slimjet and any chromium browser, just rename the exe file - the running file (c:/program file/slimjet - win 7) by the different name : "browser.exe".
This will make CCleaner treats Slimjet and any chromium browser as a google chrome.
Now you can use browser monitor to clean browser's data on closing.
Good luck

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

Hello, I really want to get this cookie management to work and so far I have failed after following all of the original instructions to a T. So let me run this scenario through one more time. Do you suggest installing Chrome first and then Slimjet second. So both are installed at the same time. Then run CCleaner with CCEnhancer so that both Chrome and Slimjet are recognized. Then uninstall Chrome but make sure that the empty Chrome folder exists in the App Data directory...correct so far ? Then I need to enter the command mklink /J "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data" "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Slimjet\User Data" exactly as it is written here in the command screen. (running as administrator)

So after this is done, then the shortcut is created in the Chrome directory. Yes, I have gotten this far. So in CCleaner, do you leave clean cookies checked in Chrome and Slimjet ? What I am seeing happen is that it may work one time and actually delete cookies, but then running CCleaner again results in no cookie deletion at all and cookies remain shown in the CCleaner cookie list. Something is blocking the cookie deletion from Slimjet, I just am not sure what.

I like to save cookies from certain frequently visited sites and this one thing is preventing me from using Slimjet on a more frequent basis. I wonder if there are any other cookie management extensions that I might try that would work ?

dev

Post by dev »

Perhaps a ccleaner settings like Intelligent Cookie Scan is storing and not allowing the cleaning process https://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/ ... es-to-keep. I have found with CCEnhancer rules and no google chrome installed ccleaner cleans and stores which cookies i don't want or want, maybe its that the definitions/rules are a bit more update since this article/post was made ?

You could try slimjet://settings/content cookies and manage them there without a extension

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

Thanks dev. Well guess what, I am a happy man because I just accidentally discovered what was going on. IF I am signed into Slimjet with my Google credentials and then close the browser, there are several instances of it still running in the task manager/processes. And then CCleaner will not clean anything out of Slimjet. IF I am not logged in with my Google account, Slimjet is completely closed and does not show in the running processes and CCleaner works great to do what I need it to do. Moral to the story ? If I wish to run CCleaner, which I do often, and wish to make sure that Slimjet is covered, then I need to not be signed in t o my Google account. :D

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

It still wasn't working to save cookies, but now after realizing that I only needed to have Cookies checked under Chrome in CCleaner and unchecked in Slimjet in CCleaner, everything works well.