Backup your User data folder Win OS

Share tips and tricks on how to make the best use of Slimjet
dev

Backup your User data folder Win OS

Post by dev »

I always backup my user data folder before updating any chromium based browser. Now this folder a lots of the times is hidden within windows OS so the quickest way to find is to just enter chrome://open_profile_folder in the address box/search bar then copy that folder to where ever you see fit.
It also handy if you want to install slimjet to another computer but want to keep your bookmarks, extensions etc intact on that system, so you install slimjet as normal but the replace the newly created user data folder with your existing backup.

ClareLondon

Re: Backup your User data folder

Post by ClareLondon »

That doesn't work for me.

It just returns "This webpage is not available" whenever I try it, in Chrome and Slimjet.

Any other quick way of locating the profile folder?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

ClareLondon wrote:That doesn't work for me.

It just returns "This webpage is not available" whenever I try it, in Chrome and Slimjet.

Any other quick way of locating the profile folder?
try

C:\Users\[REPLACE WITH LOGGED IN USER NAME]\AppData\Local\Slimjet\User Data

EDIT:

Also, I have found that with my installation of Slimet it requires at least 2 tries using the URL suggested by dev (chrome://open_profile_folder) in his post. Always, the first time I try it just doesn't do anything. Then I hit the Enter key again and it opens the profile folder. And, just because I walk down a different road than dev. I mostly use Slimjet in place of Chrome where it is an URL pointing at some chrome function so I use - slimjet://open_profile_folder. There seems to be no difference in the end result.
Last edited by oftentired on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: More information

Bluflower

Post by Bluflower »

Thank you dev. Your instruction worked perfectly for me. It is very handy to keep a back up copy of the user data.

melchior

Post by melchior »

One meore question in this matter ;)

Should I copy the whole folder "user data" or just the subfolder "default" in folder "user data"? Both ways work for me but which of them is correctly ?

dev

Post by dev »

melchior wrote:One meore question in this matter ;)

Should I copy the whole folder "user data" or just the subfolder "default" in folder "user data"? Both ways work for me but which of them is correctly ?
your choice really no real correct way as you say both work. i personally copy "userdata" as i have a back up of crash reports then

Finston Pickle

Post by Finston Pickle »

I have a further query on backups. I thought it best to post it here rather than start a new thread, as any answer would be in the correct place.

I have been successfully running Slimjet as my main browser on a Zorin 9, Linux laptop (Zorin 9 is based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS). I have bought a more powerful Linux laptop running Zorin 12 (Zorin 12 is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS). I have installed Slimjet and can navigate the Zorin file systems well - where is the "User Data" file located on a Linux system, please?

These settings, like those of many other applications, were hard won over a period of time. I think that the method here would work for many of them also - can anyone confirm this theory, please?

cwm4bama

Post by cwm4bama »

On a Windows system those files are found in Programs/Slimjet.

If you have a program similar to Windows Explorer you can look for where your operating system stores all your installed programs and you should find the Slimjet folder under the Program Files folder..

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

cwm4bama wrote:On a Windows system those files are found in Programs/Slimjet.

If you have a program similar to Windows Explorer you can look for where your operating system stores all your installed programs and you should find the Slimjet folder under the Program Files folder..
Wrong.

In Windows, all pertinent Slimjet data that you would want to back up is stored in C:\Windows\Users\User name\AppData\Local\Slimjet

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

cwm4bama wrote:On a Windows system those files are found in Programs/Slimjet.

This will be for Win OS portable installations only. I don't think it will apply to the Linux install which uses a different method than windows OS for handling programs and files related to the programs.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11