Automatically Installing Toolbar Icons - Amazon, Ebay

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
jeffhere

Automatically Installing Toolbar Icons - Amazon, Ebay

Post by jeffhere »

Please stop automatically loading toolbar icons. I think it happens on an event. Today I noticed and Amazon icon in the toolbar, which I did not place there. Earlier, I had visited the site. I have my own bookmarks if I want to access a site, thank you. Please stop it!
Last edited by oftentired on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Changed Subject [it is no longer a feature request], moved to Usage Forum, made sticky

flashpeak
Site Admin

Re: Stop Automatically Installing Toolbar Icons

Post by flashpeak »

It is a one time thing. You can remove it and it will never come back.

The Amazon button gives you quick access to the amazon website and supports our development efforts. We are doing the same thing for eBay as well. Both eBay and amazon are our sponsors. The software is free and we don't really show any annoying ads. We do rely on the referring commission to keep ends meet here.

We also automatically recommend the Facebook button and the weather button when the user visits related sites. But that has nothing to do with money. It is solely for the purpose of feature recommendation. If we don't recommend these features, most users won't even know the features exist at all. People would think we are just the same as Chrome but for these hidden features. One of the problem with Chrome is that they make a lot of features available through hidden features. But the reality is that only less than 1% of people will be able to find those features by doing their research online. We don't want to make the same mistakes. We make a useful feature and recommend it to people who will mostly likely need it.

However, we never force anything on people. All the feature recommendations happen only once. If you are not interested in it, just revert it. With Slimjet, you always have options.

Thanks for your understanding.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

ok, thanks for the info. If only 1x, then no big deal !! Yes, I have seen the other icons too (weather and ebay...). I would use the weather but I can't place it on the right side with other extensions (not the whole toolbar, which I know I can move to the right; I'd want just the weather with my other extensions). No harm no foul !! :)

iantohkc

Post by iantohkc »

hi, how do you remove the Facebook Toolbar icon? also, how to customise the icons in the toolbar? I tried right click but no such command as to delete or customise the cions at the toolbars. Thanks

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

settings button, settings, the 3rd section down "appearance" has a large button "customize toolbar". Ypu could also use the search box at the top middle of the settings main page and search for "toolbar"
Capture.GIF
iantohkc wrote:hi, how do you remove the Facebook Toolbar icon? also, how to customise the icons in the toolbar? I tried right click but no such command as to delete or customise the cions at the toolbars. Thanks

iantohkc

Post by iantohkc »

thanks.

dev

Post by dev »

flashpeak wrote:It is a one time thing. You can remove it and it will never come back.

The Amazon button gives you quick access to the amazon website and supports our development efforts. We are doing the same thing for eBay as well. Both eBay and amazon are our sponsors. The software is free and we don't really show any annoying ads. We do rely on the referring commission to keep ends meet here.

We also automatically recommend the Facebook button and the weather button when the user visits related sites. But that has nothing to do with money. It is solely for the purpose of feature recommendation. If we don't recommend these features, most users won't even know the features exist at all. People would think we are just the same as Chrome but for these hidden features. One of the problem with Chrome is that they make a lot of features available through hidden features. But the reality is that only less than 1% of people will be able to find those features by doing their research online. We don't want to make the same mistakes. We make a useful feature and recommend it to people who will mostly likely need it.

However, we never force anything on people. All the feature recommendations happen only once. If you are not interested in it, just revert it. With Slimjet, you always have options.

Thanks for your understanding.
Just noticed this happening in my browser, no biggie as i had noticed this thread before but maybe this thread could be sticky-ed so it doesn't get lost in the forum.

highstream

Post by highstream »

flashpeak wrote: Just noticed this happening in my browser, no biggie as i had noticed this thread before but maybe this thread could be sticky-ed so it doesn't get lost in the forum.
+1

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

highstream wrote:
flashpeak wrote: Just noticed this happening in my browser, no biggie as i had noticed this thread before but maybe this thread could be sticky-ed so it doesn't get lost in the forum.
+1
done, and moved to usage forum
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

donaldduck

Re: Automatically Installing Toolbar Icons

Post by donaldduck »

I haven't noticed any icons changing on my toolbar that I didn't change myself.